glowfish acting wierd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
My moms glofish is laying on the bottom of gthe tank. When it does move it jerks and twist violently around. The other glofish where attacking it until it hid. So what could that be?

Hard to say unless we know more about the tank.

How many gallons?
How long has it been running/ Is it cycled?
How many fish are there/ what kinds.
What are the parameters? (Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte)

oops sorry. It is a cycled 26 gallon. The other fish (glofish, mollies, platies, cory, and ottos) are all acting fine. The tank is well taken care of but I dont have a test kit so exact parameters are not known. The tank has been running for awhile and all other fish are acting fine.

When is the last time a water change was done? How big of a water change? When was the last time the filter cartridge was changed?

oh maybe 2 weeks ion the water change (its due but not bad) and a couple weeks on the cartridge (it has a plastic piece to build up bb).

How big of a water change...? How often do you change the cartridge?

Do a PWC ASAP. Every two weeks might not be cutting it. She really needs to get the water tested. Could be a mini cycle from changing the cartridge. Not all the BB live on the plastic bit quite a lot live on the cartridge being throw out. Just rince it in a bucket of tank water instead.

Do a PWC ASAP. Every two weeks might not be cutting it. She really needs to get the water tested. Could be a mini cycle from changing the cartridge. Not all the BB live on the plastic bit quite a lot live on the cartridge being throw out. Just rince it in a bucket of tank water instead.
I cant it has the carbon in it. Comes that way. The filter catridge has been in there a couple of weeks with the plastic thing almost toucj=hing it that I never change. Its only 1 fish showing symptoms! Even the cory and fry anre fine.

GodFan said:
I cant it has the carbon in it. Comes that way. The filter catridge has been in there a couple of weeks with the plastic thing almost toucj=hing it that I never change. Its only 1 fish showing symptoms! Even the cory and fry anre fine.

I'd still be testing the water and doing a PWC. Those are the very first things that need to be done when a fish is showing signs of stress/disease. Cut a slit and remove the carbon. It's not needed anyway.

k do you have any idea what would make it act like that? It is hiding in a cave so Im not sure its even alive.....

GodFan said:
k do you have any idea what would make it act like that? It is hiding in a cave so Im not sure its even alive.....

The other fish are probably picking on it because it's in a weakened state. The fish could have been weak/sick when she bought it (bad stock) or have the beginnings of a disease of some sort. IMO the number one cause of the onset of fish disease is poor water conditions. So I would do a PWC and see how it goes. Are there any marks, fluff, spots on the fish?

Nope looks completely normal (maybe a little paler) she has benn with us several months...

I agree with Mumma. The first things you do when you see a fish acting sick/stressed is test the water and do a large water change. Try those two things and let us know what the tests say (test before you change the water ;)).

I cant afford the test kit right now! I just change the water when I think its time. Ive got my timing down real good lol

Back
Top Bottom