Glut vs snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Hi all,

Can glut dosing kill snails at all? I'm dosing 1ml per 5gal (API co2 booster) in a small tank and have noticed over time my pond snail population declining.

There is only cardinals and Molly fry in tank. Water is soft.

Good question, i had an assassin go down in my 5.5, has a betta, rcs, amano shrimp and various snails, 2 assassins, one was dead after a month?? They're pretty tough ime. Don't really dose all that much glut in that tank either..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's odd - I just seem to have less whereas before there were tonnes of eggs and baby snails.

Actually come to think of it hadn't seen any MTS in DT for a bit either.

I'm not sure about the liquid C, but is it possible you've been feeding less? Snails are pretty quick to clean up any extra food, and if there isn't enough to go around, they die off. I've always kept ramshorns in my planted tanks, and I've never had a problem with overpopulation even though they are constantly laying eggs.

It's possible - the Molly fry have been getting pretty quick now at getting food. There are also a half dozen bn catfish fry in there although at the moment the hair algae is besting them as the window curtains were left open for a week or so.

Hi all,

Can glut dosing kill snails at all? I'm dosing 1ml per 5gal (API co2 booster) in a small tank and have noticed over time my pond snail population declining.

There is only cardinals and Molly fry in tank. Water is soft.

1ml/5g seems a bit on the high side to me but I am not familiar with the glut percent of the API product.

I have (unintentionally) killed apple/mystery snails with glut in the past when I 'followed the directions' stated on the bottle of Excel for dosage following a water change. The three I had for awhile were all climbing the tank walls exploring and cleaning. I added the proper dosage (1ml/5g? I don't recall). And the snails literally all fell off mid climb within 5 minutes of adding it. I was not certain if they were dead or not. After 2 days of them not moving, a sniff test confirmed it.

Since then, I tend to dose at very minimal (if at all) levels as my creatures are more important than my plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

1ml/5g seems a bit on the high side to me but I am not familiar with the glut percent of the API product.

I have (unintentionally) killed apple/mystery snails with glut in the past when I 'followed the directions' stated on the bottle of Excel for dosage following a water change. The three I had for awhile were all climbing the tank walls exploring and cleaning. I added the proper dosage (1ml/5g? I don't recall). And the snails literally all fell off mid climb within 5 minutes of adding it. I was not certain if they were dead or not. After 2 days of them not moving, a sniff test confirmed it.

Since then, I tend to dose at very minimal (if at all) levels as my creatures are more important than my plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi, thanks for the reply. Wow, that is a shame on the apple snails.

This dose is a bit high as 1ml to 10gal is the directions. I was looking for something else and did come across another post where shrimps were also meant to be more sensitive to it.

Back
Top Bottom