going from a 12g to a 29 gallon. need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hodges

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey,

After Xmas I will be changing over to a 29 gallon tank from a 12g nano and have a couple of questions. First off let me list what kind of setup this will have. It is a reef tank. I will have Current 24" Outer Orbit HQI Metal Halide PC Fixture (I know all about light acclimation). And a hang on back 18" refugium. Also I am putting new sand in the tank Bahamas Oolite. I am going to use some of the live sand from the 12g in the refugium.

What are the steps I need to take to make sure my current corals make the trip?
Should I cycle the tank for a couple of weeks before I move anything?
Should I use most of the water from my 12 gallon? Instead of just putting all fresh saltwater?

Thats all I can think of for now.
TIA
Hodges

How old is your 12g nano? How much lr do you have it in? Are you getting more lr? Do you have any fish/inverts? What kind of corals do you have?

Filling out your will help us know more about your tank :D

The tank has been set up for a little over a year. I basically rescued it from a guy who didnt do water changes much and didnt take very good care of it. It had no sand in it so I added some about 2 months ago. I have about 10 lbs of live rock and yes I will be adding a little bit more probably 10 more pounds. I have 3 shrooms, a snake polyp, a pretty big colony of zoanthus, and one red head goby ( forgot the real name for it).

Thanks

Just make sure the new lr is curred before adding to the new tank. I'd get another 25-35 lbs if you can afford it. You can also use base rock.

Drip acclimate your fish and corals for 2 hours to the new tank and you should be fine. You already know about photo acclimation.

I'd just make new water matching your current tanks ph/temp/sg.

I'd add all new sand personally after adding water and give the new tank a couple of days to clear the sand storm.

Hodges said:
The tank has been set up for a little over a year. I basically rescued it from a guy who didnt do water changes much and didnt take very good care of it. It had no sand in it so I added some about 2 months ago. I have about 10 lbs of live rock and yes I will be adding a little bit more probably 10 more pounds. I have 3 shrooms, a snake polyp, a pretty big colony of zoanthus, and one red head goby ( forgot the real name for it).

Thanks
could it be a catilina goby?

When I switched from my 55 to my 125 I added most of the water I had in the 55 to the 125 and added fresh to finish it off. Sometimes all new SW can be too caustic. But if it`s aged for a few days then you`ll be OK. I was antsy when I switched over but everything went OK and it will for you too.

This is a pretty easy process provided you are properly prepared for it. My biggest suggestion is to make sure you have plenty of premixed and aged SW on hand for the move. Empty the water, LR and livestock into a couple of five gal buckets. Maintain flow and temp in the bucket with the animals in it. Place the new substrate in the new tank and then scoop your established substrate on top. Discard he "dirty" water left in the nano. Next you just rebuild, using the old SW mixed with the new. postion the rockwork and corals as you wish and give the tank a couple of days to clear. Good luck and post some pics if you get a chance.

Back
Top Bottom