Going on Vacation...What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquanaut

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello

OK I kinda dreading this..Going on Vaca. for a week. I have a 30 gallon reef tank with 20 gallon for sump/fuge. I have no one available to top off water and for feedings.
I wasa thinking of sealing up the sump to prevent evap there , put the glass back on top of display tank , and drop the temp some. I was also thinking of some sort of "IV" drip of water to help with evap. I lose about a 3/4 gallon a day usually.

As for feedings... Im not sure. Feed heavy for a couple days prior??? I have a battery operated feeder for some flake food also.

Will they be alright for a week this way ? ...anything to look out for?

Tank is 6 months old with 2 clowns 2 chromis royal gamma snails crabs and assorted soft corals. All fish are small ( inch or less)

Thanks all :?

Are you handy with DIY? A water topoff system is easy to do, and can save you headaches of toping off manually. All you need is a bucket of water, a top off float valve, and an extra PH.

As for feedings... I would do an automatic feeder with flake food/sinking pellets. Everything should be fine as long as lights are on a timer, food is on a timer, and top offs are done automatically. I wouldn't personally try an IV drip... too many uncertainties... could end up either with an empty IV bag and an overflowing sump, or a filled IV bag and a sump that's dry that didn't get enough water from the IV. This is just what I would do...

I second the recommendation of a float switch. I swear by them in this hobby and it has saved me many a mess thus far!

Back
Top Bottom