Going planted advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've wanted to change my substrate from gravel to sand for a while but never did it, after having two cories die in two days, I'm changing to sand to see if his helps my cory death problem. Im also considering going planted in my 55g. I'm planning on using play sand as my substrate, hopefully getting this on Thursday. I've heard of people using potting soil and capping it with sand, what is the best way to do this? I would like to have a
mix between the way the rocks are setup and having about this amount of plant/moss cover. Can I just go out and get rocks from the yard or would I be better off getting them from a local creek/river/lake? Is there a way to check and see if they are safe to use in my tank? Sorry for all the questions but I want to do this right. Recommendations/suggestions on how I can achieve this?

Attachments

• image-3033129962.jpg
    image-3033129962.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 60
  • image-851714548.jpg
    image-851714548.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 68
  • image-3137478052.jpg
    image-3137478052.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 68
My only comment on the sand: You might want to try to get pool filter sand (PFS?) rather than play sand. Play sand might be cheaper but you will spend quite a bit of time rinsing it. I used it before and rinsed it in a bucket with a garden hose outside when it was warm outside.
If you do get play sand, try rinsing small amounts at a time rather than filling up the bucket (or whichever container you are using)

I used organic potting soil in mine...fyi..if you don't want the soil to show around the sides remember to place sand around both sides and front before placing the soil..that way viewers cannot see the soil.....

I have wondered about switching my substrate too, does sand or gravel work for growing plants? Switching to planted should be good.

I have wondered about switching my substrate too, does sand or gravel work for growing plants? Switching to planted should be good.

Idk anything about gravel but yes to sand. I also have a 20h heavily planted with 50/50 sand and fluorite mixed. IMO, Rivercats is the best person on here with so much knowledge about planted tanks...

You can do any Organic Potting Soil not Potting Mix and cap it with sand. Since the sand is inert the soil will help give you a nutrient rich substrate. Also be sure to keep extra sand for touch ups as needed. Or you can use gravel or a commercial substrate to cap with. I use Eco-complete as a cap on my dirted tanks.

As for rocks I suggest looking for them in places other than your yard since rocks in your yard have most likely been exposed to chemicals such as fertilizers, bug spray, etc. Once you have your rocks scrub them good in really hot water. Let the dry them drip a few drops of white vinegar on them. If they bubble and or sizzle that means they can raise the ph in your tank and your shouldn't use them.

You can do any Organic Potting Soil not Potting Mix and cap it with sand. Since the sand is inert the soil will help give you a nutrient rich substrate. Also be sure to keep extra sand for touch ups as needed. Or you can use gravel or a commercial substrate to cap with. I use Eco-complete as a cap on my dirted tanks.

As for rocks I suggest looking for them in places other than your yard since rocks in your yard have most likely been exposed to chemicals such as fertilizers, bug spray, etc. Once you have your rocks scrub them good in really hot water. Let the dry them drip a few drops of white vinegar on them. If they bubble and or sizzle that means they can raise the ph in your tank and your shouldn't use them.

So basically if I use any rocks they should come out of a river or creek?

You can do Anubia, Java fern both regular and Wendilov, and Bolbitus attached to DW. Then Water Sprite or Wisteria, Jungle or Corkscrew Val, Dwarf Sag, Ambulia, Anarachis, Swords and Crypts are all good easy low light tolerant plants.

You can do Anubia, Java fern both regular and Wendilov, and Bolbitus attached to DW. Then Water Sprite or Wisteria, Jungle or Corkscrew Val, Dwarf Sag, Ambulia, Anarachis, Swords and Crypts are all good easy low light tolerant plants.

Thank you so much! So excited to start this new
aspect of this hobby :)

There is nothing better looking than a tank with real plants. The colors, the appearance, etc are much better versus the plastic ornaments. But also plants require a little bit more of work, such as trimming, adding ferts, or root tablets, etc.
I personally enjoy a lot working on my tank taking care of the plants, I hope that you find the same.
The plants suggested by Rivercats are excellent suggestions.

So I think I have a good idea of what plants I want to start out with and a general layout of how I want my tank to be decorated. So first i have a question.. LFS gave me the website the order from, and they have a few plants that are already growing on rock/driftwood, one of the choices is dwarf baby tears on rock, would this be a low light plant to start with? My plan is to go and find rocks, I want to do scape the rocks basically like the picture, mainly on the left side of the tank, and do a cluster of anubias kind of behind/beside the rocks, use Jungle Val all along the back glass of the tank, on the left side I was thinking use the anubias on driftwood and put that on the right side of the tank... maybe with another cluster of anubias near the driftwood and bolbitis in the middle of the back glass. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom