Gold and Bolivian Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HAnnAH10gal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gal tank with a ph of 7.4 and my water is hard but I'm not sure how hard...it leaves calcium deposits on filters. I have been told no type of ram will live for too long with these water conditions however someone else who is an expert said I could do it. What do I believe??

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

In Utah, i am able to do pretty well with my blue rams. From what I know, Bolivian rams are much hardier than the blue rams.

I am no expert but I have seen a spawn once (i have other posts on my issues) with a pH of 8.

I know they are a fairly temperamental fish, but if you can get them locally, chances are, they will be just fine.

Bolivian rams are much hardier than GBR.
Unfortunately GBR are over bred for their beautiful coloring but they have ended up a very fragile breed. I've had 2 pair die within 1 week of getting them and it's very sad to watch.
The Bolivians which have a great personality are just very hardy. I'd suggest you start there...

Bolivians temp should be around 78 and GBR at least 82

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have liquid rock for water and have had both bolivian and german rams. They both did great outside of being bullies. I now only keep 1 bolivian ram with my angels, who are tough enough to stand up to his occasional play for territory. Clean, healthy water is the key..........PH and hardness are all not that crucial in keeping fish, but I am sure others will disagree with me.

If you can find locally bred rams chances are they'll be ok. It's all about the means in which they be been bred and raised.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My nitrates are always under 20 because I keep apistogramma...so clean water is not my issue. My point was that GBR are not nearly as hardy as Bolivians and might be an easier fish to start with...

My nitrates are always under 20 because I keep apistogramma...so clean water is not my issue. My point was that GBR are not nearly as hardy as Bolivians and might be an easier fish to start with...

On paper maybe, I only see the bolivians at petsmart around me, bolivian or gbr.. can't see that gene pool running to deep..

If you can find locally bred rams chances are they'll be ok. It's all about the means in which they be been bred and raised.

And definitely get your blue Rams from a breeder, not the local fish store.

And definitely get your blue Rams from a breeder, not the local fish store.

What's wrong with getting them from a chain or LFS? Not everywhere has a breeder for every fish and a lot of time you only have a petsmart/petco in your area for xx fish.

I know that my petco and petsmart in my area take very good care of their fish stock. I continually see them cleaning and maintaining the tanks/water. I also asked them for a water test and they have the exact same parameters as myself.

Another though, most LFS will use locally breed stock as well. so telling them to not use some local fish store is not the best advice. I could understand more if you said don't hit some chain store.

What's wrong with getting them from a chain or LFS? Not everywhere has a breeder for every fish and a lot of time you only have a petsmart/petco in your area for xx fish.

I know that my petco and petsmart in my area take very good care of their fish stock. I continually see them cleaning and maintaining the tanks/water. I also asked them for a water test and they have the exact same parameters as myself.

Another though, most LFS will use locally breed stock as well. so telling them to not use some local fish store is not the best advice. I could understand more if you said don't hit some chain store.

Most places get their Rams from breeders in Asia. These stock are overwhelmingly inbred and pumped up on hormones. Consequently, they don't live long.

If your LFS gets its Blue Rams from reputable breeders, consider yourself lucky, as they're in a tiny minority. Petsmart and Petco sure as heck don't.

Many breeders ship via mail. I get my Rams from SoCal.

Most places get their Rams from breeders in Asia. These stock are overwhelmingly inbred and pumped up on hormones. Consequently, they don't live long.

If your LFS gets its Blue Rams from reputable breeders, consider yourself lucky, as they're in a tiny minority. Petsmart and Petco sure as heck don't.

Many breeders ship via mail. I get my Rams from SoCal.

I am going to have to check with some of my local stores on this. I really would like to find out where they are getting them form. You made me curious.

I have a relatively good LFS and have purchased all of my tetras and corys from them. But I would not purchase their Blue Rams or discus. Too much bad stock out there.

Im with pn, while the chains may have local stock it's doubtful. They probably buy cheap bulk from fish farms where these rams are hormone charged breeding machines.

Back
Top Bottom