Gold nose pleco with puffer tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alec18

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a ten gal tank and I want a gold bristle nosed pleco and my puffer tank era stuff on the plants and want a gold nose in there to eat it off. Should I?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/could-a-pleco-be-kept-with-dwarf-puffers-69308.html

And from here:
people keep otos and bristlenose plecos in with dwarf puffers as a clean-up crew. If this will work it depends completely on the personality of the puffer, some manage it, others end up with dead catfish. It might be worth trying as long as you keep a very close eye on it, at all times, and have a place to re-home the catfish into.

As far as the pleco goes, you might be ok so long you keep on top of water params. Obviously it's much more advisable to have a bigger tank, but with just a single DP and a bristlenose I personally think it might be able to be done.

If it were me though, I'd lean towards trying a small (3-4) school of otocinclus catfish, provided the tank is a few months old at least.

But in all cases it will depend on the temperament of your individual DP. A heavily planted tank will probably help you out with whatever you do choose to try.

Alternatively, you could try snails if you're only after something to graze on your algae. What type of snail i can't really offer much advice on bit hopefully someone can help you out there.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/could-a-pleco-be-kept-with-dwarf-puffers-69308.html

And from here:

As far as the pleco goes, you might be ok so long you keep on top of water params. Obviously it's much more advisable to have a bigger tank, but with just a single DP and a bristlenose I personally think it might be able to be done.

If it were me though, I'd lean towards trying a small (3-4) school of otocinclus catfish, provided the tank is a few months old at least.

But in all cases it will depend on the temperament of your individual DP. A heavily planted tank will probably help you out with whatever you do choose to try.

Alternatively, you could try snails if you're only after something to graze on your algae. What type of snail i can't really offer much advice on bit hopefully someone can help you out there.

I have three puffers

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/could-a-pleco-be-kept-with-dwarf-puffers-69308.html And from here: As far as the pleco goes, you might be ok so long you keep on top of water params. Obviously it's much more advisable to have a bigger tank, but with just a single DP and a bristlenose I personally think it might be able to be done. If it were me though, I'd lean towards trying a small (3-4) school of otocinclus catfish, provided the tank is a few months old at least. But in all cases it will depend on the temperament of your individual DP. A heavily planted tank will probably help you out with whatever you do choose to try. Alternatively, you could try snails if you're only after something to graze on your algae. What type of snail i can't really offer much advice on bit hopefully someone can help you out there.

Puffers will eat snails. I think any fish could be at risk with the aggressive puffers. However, a clean up crew would have to be made of fish cause puffers eat snails and shrimp.

I wouldn't put a pleco in a ten gallon tank. Try to do water changes and cut down on excess feeding to deal with algae

I wouldn't put a pleco in a ten gallon tank. Try to do water changes and cut down on excess feeding to deal with algae

I'm not doing it just for cleaning. I just want one too but my 20 gallon is pretty full

Puffers will eat snails. I think any fish could be at risk with the aggressive puffers. However, a clean up crew would have to be made of fish cause puffers eat snails and shrimp.

Didnt even cross my mind oops >.<

I'm not doing it just for cleaning. I just want one too but my 20 gallon is pretty full

Perfect excuse for an upgrade!

I don't know about the compatibility, but I do know that a BN pleco isn't suitable for a 10 gallon. They need a 20 long Atleast to be considered "happy."

Back
Top Bottom