Goldfish buddies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfan88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm getting three goldfish (most likely a moor a fantail and a ranchu, but maybe another fantail instead of the ranchu) for my brother. The tank is a 45 gallon. I was wondering... Are there any cold water bottom feeders that don't get too big? I know I'm pretty much stocked already with three goldfish in there, but I still have five gallons they shouldn't take up :p (going by 20 for the first and 10 for every one added) any suggestions?

Maybe a few large snails? That's about it. Are you going to cycle this tank for your brother before adding fish?

it's already cycled. ive had it for almost a month. tested the water a few days ago and ph is about 7.5 to 8.0, ammonia and nitrates are at 0 and nitrites are very low. so I think we're good to go :)

Wait. Nitrites are NOT there? I did a fish IN cycle with some feeder goldfish. If I cycled it at all. :p I bought the tank used so all I really did was a 100% water change. Same gravel, filter, everything except decorations and fish. The guy had the tank set up for years and only took the water out the day before he sold it to me.

Sometimes I get nitrites and nitrates mixed up... I thought it was ok if you have low nitrites before you do a water change, which is when I tested the water

Sometimes I get nitrites and nitrates mixed up... I thought it was ok if you have low nitrites before you do a water change, which is when I tested the water

Any amount of nitrites indicate a tank is still in the cycling process. Zero ammonia and nitrite and some amount of nitrate indicate a rank is fully cycled.

I had a bn pleco with a black moor in a 10 gallon
I never had problems, I had a big centerpiece root ornament, and that kept the pleco busy pleaying in there( I know my tank was very inadequate, but I made the error of listening to petsmart!)
As long as you have a large, or more smaller pieces, you should be fine

Any amount of nitrites indicate a tank is still in the cycling process. Zero ammonia and nitrite and some amount of nitrate indicate a rank is fully cycled.

Ok so I must have gotten that mixed up then. I'll have to test it again to be sure.

My little brother (its his tank. Not sure if i mentioned that) ended up getting 2 angels and 9 harlequin raspboras. He's only five. He wasnt quite sure what he wanted, so we went to the lfs and that's what he picked. I think I'm honna get him a little school of Cory cats or something.

Yeah he wants some of those too. Changes his mind all the time though. :p

lol the problem is he only wants one. I'm trying to convince him that the little guy would be happier with some friends and how cool they would look. I dunno. Maybe I'll just bring him a present on the way home from work tomorrow ;)

Back
Top Bottom