Goldfish jumping out of pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lomeli562

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i have some goldfish in a 200 gal pond and i was wondering what can i use to keep them from jumping out of the water. I found one next to the pond this mornig and i assume it is because they are starting to spawn. It had no injuries on it just jumped out and dried up :/. I also have red eared sliders in there to so they need to be able to get out on the edge to sun. Any suggestions are apreciated thanks :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Great idea ill give it a try and see how it works thanks

Floating plant cover is a great suggestion! :)

However, something to keep in mind is the possibility of birds or other predators as well as water quality. I have never encountered issues with gold jumping from water unless the water conditions were less than ideal or they were removed by a predator. Herons are notorious for removing fish and leaving them lying around a pond and I have lost my share of fish to herons (and other predators).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I dont think i get herons around here but we do have alot of crows and the ocassional sea gull

I dont think i get herons around here but we do have alot of crows and the ocassional sea gull

You probably have herons in the area if you live within 50 miles of a river, large pond, lake, mud puddle, etc

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You probably have herons in the area if you live within 50 miles of a river, large pond, lake, mud puddle, etc

Yep! Herons are indigenous to the all 50 states (yes, even Alaska) as well as Canada, Central and South America. They are equal opportunity hunters in both fw and sw as well as eating smaller mammals that live on land. They hunt equally well in both daylight and night. A pond predator not to be underestimated! :)

I had a raccoon clean out a pond once. Did not see it happen but the fish tails were in a neat pile next to the pond.

Yep! Herons are indigenous to the all 50 states (yes, even Alaska) as well as Canada, Central and South America. They are equal opportunity hunters in both fw and sw as well as eating smaller mammals that live on land. They hunt equally well in both daylight and night. A pond predator not to be underestimated! :)

Planning to build a pond this summer. Going to plant a Japanese maple to cover the east side and use netting in the winter time. Also the bow and arrow.

Then maybe it was a heron hmm well the pond has a mesh net over it now and i found an old heat lamp for the turtles so i think theyll be alright thanks for the tips everyone!

I had a raccoon clean out a pond once. Did not see it happen but the fish tails were in a neat pile next to the pond.

Dealt with herons but the worst was a very large snapping turtle that decided to (briefly) call my pond home last summer. He decimated my pond in just a few days before I figured out what was leaving fish heads everywhere....

Planning to build a pond this summer. Going to plant a Japanese maple to cover the east side and use netting in the winter time. Also the bow and arrow.

Net year round! My herons figured out my net (which is about 2ft above the surface to accommodate plants) did not go completely to the ground and I caught them going UNDER it. My pond (and backyard) are under lockdown year round now.

Thats crazy! I built mine so it comes from about a foot from the edge of the pond to about 3 feet above it

A friend of mine nets in the winter, says as long as the leaves are on the trees he doesn't have any problems. He just drapes the net across and secures it to the ground along the edge. He doesn't lose fish either.

My grandad in Germany has a fish pond, he hates them though lol, but he actually spanned metal bars over the surface of the pond because of the neighbors cat, but even after they moved the wild weasels and ferrets there came and ate them! SO don't underestimate wildlife!

Nils

Back
Top Bottom