Goldfish swimming problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yahooandgoogle

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I have asked questions on here and found everyone to be very helpful.

I am having trouble with my fancy breed goldfish. I have had her nearly a year now. She lives with a Blackmoore who I have had for over three years. I got her from the pet shop from a friend. Since I got her she has had trouble swimming at times. She going upside down at times. I think sometimes she has died then she turns over and swims off. She at times swims sideways and at stands on her head. She has recently started hanging around the filter pipe and wrap her tail around the tube. I have tried the peas she loves them, I have reduced her food and have been doing water changes and regularly testing the water. My other fish is healthy and swims fine. she looks healthy. Her scales are flat, no signs of gasping for air, still eats very well. She comes good for a while then stats to flip over again. I find it a bit distressing to see her like this (I love my fish!) any ideas please . She does look fat but she was big when I got her. She has grown heaps. I have a video of her but I can't post it. These last few days have been the worst i have seen her. Please no nasty comments I have attached a photo of her. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406888867.199293.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Note in this photo she was swimming really well.

I would say keep feeding the peas and give it time. She looks really healthy and good. It is odd. You saying she is eating well. Thats also a good sign. Does she swim in rapid circles or is it more a lethgaric laying on her side and upside down.

Unsure of her age. I've only had her about 8 months she was only small when I got her. No not rapid circles.

When you stop and look at what she is doing she usually goes off swimming. She's not bobbing up and down she stays down if that makes sense?

Could you please let us know:
- tank size
- water change schedule
- water parameters
- feeding schedule

Thanks, Roz

They have been moved to a new tank. Have been in tank for a month now. The tank is around 90 litres I know now this is too small after coming on this site. I spoke to a fish expert who said this size tank would be good for them. I am going to make do with this tank for now as I paid a lot of money for it. Will look into a bigger one for them soon. It's twice as big as their old tank.
Have been doing water changes of 25% if there is a trace of ammonia. Feeding they are fed sinking pellets a few each which are soaked first before feeding. They get blood worm around two times a week and they are fed skinned peas.

This floating thing she does has been an on going thing and has done it for the eight months I have had her.

Could you try the following - which is based on what I did for my rescued Black Moor Colin, who had SBD:

- min 50% water change every 2nd day.
- soak fish food in aquarium water before feeding.
- pea every night - shell taken off and innards squished into small bite size chunks.

I think the improved water quality and daily peas have helped Colin. In his last home, he used to float and swim in funny ways all of the time. I have never seen him have a problem since I adopted him and undertook the above routine.

Could you try it and then let us know how you get on?

My Blackmoore google was the same.
I recused him too. He used to bottom sit he came from a school tank being over fed and the food rotted in the tank. The water was terrible. Also the bristle nose was eating is scales because he was starving and not getting the correct food. I took google home and he is great now I rehomed the bristle nose.

I will try what you have said with yahoo. I do the soaking thing with the pellets in tank water before feeding . So she can have a few pellets as well as the pea? I'm hoping once the tank is fully cycled she will be ok. I will keep doing water changes. Will let you know how she goes. Their both great fish I hope she recovers. A lady did say it may be a birth defect. Thanks again
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406938728.956728.jpg

My rescue Blackmoore google

Great advice offered by Roz! :)

Water changes, water changes and more water changes will be very beneficial to both fish. Adding cooked peas (deshelled and smooshed into bits) as well as other veggies into their diet on a daily basis (yes, daily!) will also be helpful. Goldfish in natural environments consume the largest portion of their diet in algae and plant matter so helping to mimic this helps to limit buoyancy issues related to digestive issues (very common in fancies). Spreading meals out through the day also helps to ease digestive issues/related problems.

Both of your fish are telescopes, by the way, and your 'black' moor will eventually be as orange as your other telescope. Please ask any questions! :)

Will he really go gold wow! He's so black. I worked out he's around 6-7 years old.
Thank you I just did a water change today of 25% I got some natural spring water for them also.
I have just tested all levels and recorded.
Just a question I use stress coat should I change to prime? I've read on here it's very good?

Update on yahoo she is swimming great today and hasn't done any belly floating or sinking :)
They had some blood worms today will give her a pea tonight also.

What vegetables can I feed to them? I would like to include some? I have heard they can have cooked blanched spinach?

Will he really go gold wow! He's so black. I worked out he's around 6-7 years old.
Thank you I just did a water change today of 25% I got some natural spring water for them also.
I have just tested all levels and recorded.
Just a question I use stress coat should I change to prime? I've read on here it's very good?

Update on yahoo she is swimming great today and hasn't done any belly floating or sinking :)
They had some blood worms today will give her a pea tonight also.

What vegetables can I feed to them? I would like to include some? I have heard they can have cooked blanched spinach?

Based on your picture, yes, he will likely (eventually) turn orange. Classic golden tummy is the beginning of demelanization (loss of black melanin pigment). What is your age basis on as he does not appear quite that old?

Stress coat is fine as is Prime. If there are any level of toxins in your tap water, Prime would be the better choice. I would recommend using treated tap as your water source unless your tap water is high in toxins.

I feed a variety of fresh fruits and veggies. When I don't have the time, bags of frozen microwave veggies are super easy as are fruits canned in juice (not syrup). Clips holding dark green or red/purple leafy greens or broccoli florets are simple starters. Skip iceberg lettuce as it has no nutritional value. Other veggies that work (cooked and/or mushed) are cauliflower, zucchini, asparagus, sweet peppers, carrots, green beans, kale, spinach, etc. Skip heavy starches (corn, potatoes) and spicy stuff. Most fruits are game- berries, melons, orange, tangerine, soft apple/pear, etc. Foods either need to be soft enough to tear or mushed into bite sized bits. Don't expect them to take to this change instantly- it may take a few attempts! :)

Yeh I have noticed the orange on his belly. I have had him for three years and I looked after him at the school for about the same. So I worked out he would be around that age. He was only small when he was in the school tank he may be slightly younger?
Thanks for the advice with the fruit and vegetables I will give it a try.
I have been using the spring as our tap water isn't the best.
I will grab a bottle of prime when I go to the pet shop next thanks again

Hope your little guy improves :)

My Colin is now very chipper. He used to be terribly shy and is now up front following me around the round in his tank telling me he wants more food.

A pic of Colin a few weeks ago in his temporary tank with Dennis...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406977879.127392.jpg

Thanks I hope so too. She had a good day today not much floating.
Colin is cute. They look happy :) Thanks for all your advice.

Back
Top Bottom