Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mundle

Aquarium Advice Activist
How big do goldfish need to be to breed
And when ( what season )
I have them in a pond

I dont know how big goldfish need to be when they breed but I think they need to be 1-2 years old and as for seasons breeders just keep the fish in the low 60's degreesF for a couple of months and then slowly raise the temp to high 60's lo 70's for a month or so until they breed the stimulates the seasons also feed high protien foods hop this helps

Fishfanatic16 said:
I dont know how big goldfish need to be when they breed but I think they need to be 1-2 years old and as for seasons breeders just keep the fish in the low 60's degreesF for a couple of months and then slowly raise the temp to high 60's lo 70's for a month or so until they breed the stimulates the seasons also feed high protien foods hop this helps

It is best for the goldfish (or koi) that they are at least 3 - 5 years of age, spawning them at an early age can cause stress to the female, low quantity of eggs etc.

What type of goldfish....

How big do goldfish need to be to breed
And when ( what season )
I have them in a pond

What type of goldfish are you asking about and where are you talking about? Size ( and age) depends on the type.
I live next to a Koi farm in Central FL and he breeds his fish in Late March. I've imported fish such as Moors, Pearlscales, Bubbleeyes, Ryunkins and such and they spawned in the tanks the day after arriving because the water they were shipped in was cold and the water they went in to was warmer. The fish in the northern ponds don't breed until after iceout which is April/May depending on the area.
A little more info and we can give you a better answer :D

Regular goldfish (comets)I think
I live in Melbourne Australia
One is 7" long and 3 others 3" long
The pond is a blue shell for sand pit not sure if you know what it is
Don't know how big ,quite big
If I add warm water will they spawn

Is it outside? It going to get pretty cold in Melbourne soon. If its going to happen I wouldn't expect it until spring/summer. I hope you have a filter on the shell. My daughter has one for a sandpit and they aren't very big. Maybe large enough for 1 when completely full IMO.

Breeding Goldfish

What you have to remember is that goldfish prepare for spawning during the cold months. In fact, the best breeding comes from ice being overhead for some time. (I lived in the northern US and saw this repeatedly.) So after the fish have been preparing and the temp starts to climb and stays consistant, they spawn. (That was what I was talking about with my imports. The water was cold in the Far East and the fish were packed with ice packs for shipping so when they arrived in beautiful hot Florida, they went to town spawning :brows:)
Your 3" fish sound like they are too small to be breeding but that's only if they are in fact Comets and their growth hasn't been stunted. If you are trying to spawn them deliberately, spend the winter months giving them high quality foods to help prepare them for spring. Possibly, that will stimulate some growth and hopefully they will be the males (which are generally smaller then the females.)
The next step is what do you intend to do with the fry? If your pond does not have enough smaller bug life, what will the fry eat? My neighbor keeps his breeders in bigger pools but puts selected pairs or trios in a smaller pool with grass mops for spawning. The eggs are then placed in ponds that have been incubated with daphnia and organic materials to create some bug life. These are seperate from the adults.
When I was breeding Goldfish in tanks, I would spawn them in a seperate tank (usually 30 gal for first time spawners) with a mop, move the mop to another tank and keep the fry in there until they were past feeding on infusoria. At that point I would move them out into grow out tanks or pools.

So you have a few choices of what to do. Thankfully, if it's getting colder there, you'll have the winter to figure out what you want to do ;)

I hope this helps.(y)

Back
Top Bottom