Good inexpensive second filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sandyf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm turning my 90 gallon community tank into a cichlid tank and want to add a second filter. I'm running an eheim 2075 now and thought about adding a second one but I'd rather not spend that much. What would be a good second filter option that has the most bang for the buck. Thanks!!

Yeah that would be a huge savings but I am so not a DIYer. I'd end up flooding the house or something. I was thinking about maybe an Eheim 2215 or 2217 - I found a 2215 online for $101 with free shipping. It says it's good for up to 92 gallons which I thought might be ok for a second filter. The cheapest 2217 I found was $149. Or I could wait 'til I can afford another 2075 but then I'd have to wait and I'm not good at that :)
Thanks for the suggestion!

That's a great idea. I never thought of anything other than a canister filter. I have aquaclears on all my smaller tanks and I love them. Any reason why it wouldn't work as well as a canister?

A canister will be more effective than any hob but a sump is always the key. I'm about to start building mine.

IMO sumps are the best. Only because of the amount a water they can hold. Start youtubing an you will see. Some folks run 4-5 tanks (same water params) on one huge sump. You could make a 75 gallon aquarium system have 100 gallons of water. Obviously you still have to stock according to the 75 size but your water would be cleaner. You also have lots more space for bio filtration. Some people grow plants, hide heaters, and put fry in thier sumps. Your creativity is the limit...A bunch of dollar store potscrubbers are way better then bioballs or expensive filter media

A sump does seem like the way to go especially for overcrowding. I have a "fish" friend coming over on Friday to help setup a small reef tank. I'll ask him about helping with a sump. I'll check youtube too. Thanks!

A 90 gal will make an amazing cichlid tank. Be very careful when choosing stock. A tank that large you should be able to have some peacocks as well. If I were you I would do all peacocks. They are so beautiful, and peaceful

here is two more vids I found that are awesome. They show how to build a DIY overflow. If you built this sump combo you could do it all for 30 bucks and the cost of the powerhead. Also these do an excelent job of explaining.

Back
Top Bottom