Good or bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyJam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to saltwater, and I got a tank from someone that did not want it anymore. In the liverock/sand there are small shrimp and centipedes, is this a good or bad thing?

the shrimp r fine as long as there not harasing anything,i had a sworm and they harrased my starfish so i got a hawkefish 2 clean them up and the centipede is called a brissle worm they wont bother anything

Anyway to post a pic? The small shrimp looking thing could be a pod, the centiped looking thing is most likely a bristle worm. They are both signs of a healthy and established system. A pic would help with a better id for you.

Let me be the 1st pessimist to chime in..bristle worms are to be watched closely. Depending on how the tank was kept by the previous owner, you may have some large ones that can do damage. I am not ringing the bell per se, just making sure when you say some, thats a few, not over run with them. ; )

GL!

Thanks for the help, you were all very helpful. I just had one more question for you PC then, what would you consider to be large?

lando said:
Anyway to post a pic? The small shrimp looking thing could be a pod, the centiped looking thing is most likely a bristle worm. They are both signs of a healthy and established system. A pic would help with a better id for you.

I will try to get a pic up when I come home from work, I'm not very good with my digital camera, so hopefully I can zoom in enough and kill the flash so it doesn't reflect off the tank.

Back
Top Bottom