Goofy problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

majolo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, I don't think I've seen this one before. I have a 10 gal tank with a colony of a couple dozen Cherry shrimp. I also put in a ball of Java moss because I got sick of it getting sucked into the filter in my main tank (the shrimp tank has sponge filtration). Now the moss has done what Java moss does, :lol: and I have an 8 inch diameter mass of moss.

So what's the problem, you say? Well, I don't want the moss to take over anymore, and I'd like to get it out (or at least trim it down to a few inch clump again). But there's tons of little shrimplets crawling around in it! Anybody got any good ideas how to separate the shrimp from the moss? I thought of taking the moss out, holding it over a bucket, and pouring tank water through it several times, hoping the shrimp would get the idea and bail out into the bucket... but that seems pretty stressful. I also thought of trying to find some super tasty smelling food, put it in the tank, and hope all the shrimp scamper out for the supper bell... Any other ideas?

First of all, pics are a must!!! :wink:

Do the shrimp fall out of the moss easily, or do they cling to it? If they fall out easily, you should just pull apart the moss and gently wave it around in the tank. This is basically how I clean my java moss before water changes.

If the shrimp are less willing to give up their hangout, I would try your bait idea. Put a glass containing some food into the tank with a piece of plastic mesh covering the top. Craft mesh would work - also, the mesh used to protect delicate produce like mangos. Place your shrimp infested moss on top. As an added incentive to vacate the moss, arrange the glass so that the moss is as close to your lighting as possible. The heat and light might drive the shrimp down through the mesh and into the glass.

You can pull at the moss and hopefully the shrimplets will jump off as you separate pieces. That's probably the easiest way to trim things down too.

I'll try to get a decent pic. My shrimp are not that photogenic though...

I haven't actually tried yet to get them to vacate. I suspect they wouldn't mind coming out, it's just they might take forever to find their way out. I like the mesh idea, I might see if I can try that. I'm kind of paranoid there might be a few dead in the middle where I can't see them :( Just a general paranoia.

if there are dead ones, i'm sure the other shrimp have taken care of them!

i agree with theotheragentm. just pull at the moss, one strand at a time, and remove it bit by bit.

I was afraid that might be the solution. It's gonna take forever!

Anyway, I promised pics, for what they're worth:

Full Tank

One of the little guys

(Click for larger images.)

Cor!!! That's a stonker of a plant!!! It looks absolutely amazing, but it does look a little bit too big for the tank though!!! :D

Remove the moss in small amounts and shake those portions in the water prior to removing them. The shrimp will run away as you shake the moss.

I thought you said "moss ball". That is not a ball, that is another life form. :) I agree with pulling up portions and shaking out the shrimp. On another note, I can understand why they've taken up residence in it, it looks pretty comfy.

Zacusmaximus: My light fixture is http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=11418&N=2004+113345
(the 20" 40W model, with a full daylight bulb instead of the 50/50 bulb it ships with).

I probably will parcel out most of the moss and offer it up on the trading board here, so keep your eyes open. Do you ship moss the same way as most plants, wrap in damp newspaper and put in plastic bag?

Anyway, let this be a lesson to us all -- keep your eyes on that moss! Don't let it get out of control! :)

Back
Top Bottom