Got free fish, know nothing about them..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm saying this with no experience in the matter, just lots of reading on the subject. Most brackish systems run between 1.010 - 1.015. A refractometer is definitely more accurate than a hydrometer, but this isn't a reef system. Brackish water fluctuates in nature, so a little bit off isn't going to be detrimental. It's basically a $10 hydrometer vs a $30-40 refractometer. Pick a time span and go with it. If you choose 6 weeks, increase it each week by .0025. You can do it faster, but I tend to err on the side of caution.

Here's a thread where another member made the transition - http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fresh-to-brackish-160170-3.html

I know that siva and dragonfish71 have experience in converting fw to bw... I think maybe Terrance does as well. You might PM one of them if they don't happen upon this thread.
So this is basically what I said in the PM. If you research what SG is best for BBG's, it can be difficult to determine the right answer, but I keep my BBG's at 1.008, which has worked well for me. I definitely err on the side of caution and raised my salinity over a few months.
How many go y'all think would be a good number to have? Its a 5gallon. While reading all over I read somewhere about 12 for a 10gallon. But would rather hear what y'all think.
They absolutely do not school or shoal. The only time I ever see them grouped together is during feeding. They do get a little nasty with eachother from time to time, but as long as they can get out of eachother sight easily, it's fine. I would recommend a tank that's nicely planted or has a good bit of decor so everyone can establish their own territories.
I keep 6 in 10 gals, and I feel like that's perfect for them. I know some hobbyists do keep them in as little as 5 gals, but I'm not sure that's large enough for them. While it may be true that their aggression is less severe in larger groups (which I can't say because I've always had 6), I wouldn't stock more than 3 in a tank that size.

siva said:
So this is basically what I said in the PM. If you research what SG is best for BBG's, it can be difficult to determine the right answer, but I keep my BBG's at 1.008, which has worked well for me. I definitely err on the side of caution and raised my salinity over a few months.

They absolutely do not school or shoal. The only time I ever see them grouped together is during feeding. They do get a little nasty with eachother from time to time, but as long as they can get out of eachother sight easily, it's fine. I would recommend a tank that's nicely planted or has a good bit of decor so everyone can establish their own territories.
I keep 6 in 10 gals, and I feel like that's perfect for them. I know some hobbyists do keep them in as little as 5 gals, but I'm not sure that's large enough for them. While it may be true that their aggression is less severe in larger groups (which I can't say because I've always had 6), I wouldn't stock more than 3 in a tank that size.

You're a life saver! The haveing 12 seemed iffy to me, so ill shoot for 3 now.

I'm going to start all this saturday, as that'll be the next chance I have at getting to my lfs. I'll make sure to keep everyone updated!

Awesome :) I'm sure you already know this, but be sure you grab marine salt and not aquarium salt! ;)

That's how I'm planning to convert one of my tanks, little by little. First I'm going to get all of the live bearers in there, then I'm going to increase the salinity over a period of about a month. Then I'm going to go out and buy my bumblebee gobies, I'm so excited! I was thinking about getting some puffer fish too, but I still have to research that.

Okay, so I now have 3 BBG's, and the tank is at 1.005, since my normal water is already at 1.004.

Once I added one more BBG they all became a lot more active, with just 2 they pretty much just sat around the whole time. Do y'all think 4 would be pushing it too much? It's going to be extremely planted with lots of little hiding spots.

A little update, they're doing great, seem to be being more comfortable as they swim around a lot now.

I find them I the funniest spots:)

ForumRunner_20111207_074805.jpg

ForumRunner_20111207_074630.jpg

ForumRunner_20111207_074619.jpg

00youknowit00 said:
Okay, so I was at my not so favorite lfs. In a tank in the corner I spotted these cute little fish darting around the tank. After watching them a while an employee came up and asked if I wanted them (I assumed he meant buy them) after telling him I have no clue what they are, he proceeded with "exactly, we don't either, that's why you can just have them." So I couldn't pass up getting these guys for FREE.

So once I got home I took my guppies from my 5 and put them in my 20, since I don't know what they are I wanted them all alone.

So I'm hoping one of y'all can tell me what they are, and anything you know about them.

Thanks!

I hate you so much. I just bought one for $9. Usually they are about $3 but the only place that has them near me jacked up the price. If you want to send them to me id be glad to take them off your hands for you.
Yours are definately golden banded gobys. They can also be called bumblebee gobys but true bumblebee gobys have unbroken bands. They are so similar in almost every way that it doesnt matter what you call them. BBGs can do better in pure freshwater but i suggest a SG of about 1.005 dont go higher then 1.010 thats too high. You have to feed them frozen or live food, they dont normally like flakes and from my research they should be fed meaty foods.

Homer8 said:
I hate you so much. I just bought one for $9. Usually they are about $3 but the only place that has them near me jacked up the price. If you want to send them to me id be glad to take them off your hands for you.
Yours are definately golden banded gobys. They can also be called bumblebee gobys but true bumblebee gobys have unbroken bands. They are so similar in almost every way that it doesnt matter what you call them. BBGs can do better in pure freshwater but i suggest a SG of about 1.005 dont go higher then 1.010 thats too high. You have to feed them frozen or live food, they dont normally like flakes and from my research they should be fed meaty foods.

Hmm, that's interesting, if you look at pictures of BBG's mine look exactly like them. At least from what I've seen. But thanks.

Salinity is at 1.005, I feed frozen BBS and bloodworms. Thinking about possible raising BBS to give them a treat, I'm assuming they'd love it. Just don't know anything about it yet.

I love my little guys! They're so cool and fun to watch!

00youknowit00 said:
Hmm, that's interesting, if you look at pictures of BBG's mine look exactly like them. At least from what I've seen. But thanks.

Salinity is at 1.005, I feed frozen BBS and bloodworms. Thinking about possible raising BBS to give them a treat, I'm assuming they'd love it. Just don't know anything about it yet.

I love my little guys! They're so cool and fun to watch!

If you look up golden banded gobies they also look a like. You will probably also get the same pictures as bumblebee gobies. Its almost like platys and swordtails. They look very similar but are actually two different fish but with these two gobies they are even more similar and more then half the time you can not tell them apart but both like brackish water both are gobies and they can probably be interbred with each other. One does slightly better in freshwater then the other. Both are territorial. For all extensive purposes you have bumblebee gobies but to be a little more specific you have golden banded gobies. Either way you will have the same experience with them.

Homer8 said:
If you look up golden banded gobies they also look a like. You will probably also get the same pictures as bumblebee gobies. Its almost like platys and swordtails. They look very similar but are actually two different fish but with these two gobies they are even more similar and more then half the time you can not tell them apart but both like brackish water both are gobies and they can probably be interbred with each other. One does slightly better in freshwater then the other. Both are territorial. For all extensive purposes you have bumblebee gobies but to be a little more specific you have golden banded gobies. Either way you will have the same experience with them.

Yeah, after a lot of research you get, one type does ok in freshwater, better in brackish. The other can only survive in brackish. Moral: put in brackish. The differences are too minute for us to differentiate.

Personally, they look the same, you treat them the same, I don't care I love them. :)

And from the lack of unbroken and perfect bands I got that mine were the species of BBG that can only live in brackish? But I'm not near an expert:p

*edit* maybe the two species of BBG's the site talked about are really true BBG's and GBG's?

00youknowit00 said:
*edit* maybe the two species of BBG's the site talked about are really true BBG's and GBG's?

yea thats what i was trying to get at.

I really want more of these guys and id be interested in breeding them but that wont be until at least the summer

I have 3, I'm getting one more hopefully this weekend. They said they'd get some for me:)

I've thought about breeding too. Don't know anything except that introducing freshwater encourages it. I would like to figure out how to sex them though for sure.

Well, since I've wanted some badly I haven't been able to find them anywhere. So If you two have any success, let me know, and I will buy some from you!

Sisserydoo said:
Well, since I've wanted some badly I haven't been able to find them anywhere. So If you two have any success, let me know, and I will buy some from you!

I just hope i can get a good amount of BBGs. Since they are territorial it would seem that they would be picky finding a mate.

Back
Top Bottom