Got my API master test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Engel

Aquarium Advice Activist
Recap - My tank is only just over four weeks old, and I have had fish in it since day 10. I've been doing water changes for three days since I just learned that I didn't cycle first. I think I have ich or maybe a bacterial thing, so I just bought some Melafix that I haven't tried yet.
My test kit finally came in!
Readings:
Ammonia - between 0 and .25
Nitrates - 0
Nitrates - 0
PH - between 8 and 8.4

Am I just beginning the cycle process?!? Could it also be that since I vacuumed the gravel during the changes I disrupted the cycle? :confused: At least my fish are alive..... so far.

I know that fish can adapt to a wide range of Ph on the scale, but I would recommend getting your ph down, You could try driftwood (tannins bring down Ph). This is not necessary, but I just like my ph lower, so I shared my opinion.

Before you start medicating, Make sure you know what disease you have on the fish first. Make sure your fish has one or the other, Ich (Small white spots showing up mainly on the fins but also on the body. It looks like your tropical fish has salt all over it.) or a Bacterial infection (Can be caused by a opened wound or scratch).

IMO the cycle maybe is not completed, it's hard to read 0 ppm of Nitrates, my two cents are:

First be sure that you follow the directions to measure the Nitrates, the extra shake, etc. This test is the one that I founded to be more tricky to measure.

Second keep reading daily to see if you don't detect a spike of ammonia.

A question for you: during the last 4 weeks that you tank has been running, Have you cleaned or changed your filter? What kind of filter do you have.

Remember that the good bacterias live in the filter (majority), and it is important not to mess with the filter.

Don't touch the pH. It's fine.

You're still in the first stage of cycling. You've only been cycling for two and a half weeks, so those readings aren't surprising. The first ten days don't count because there was no ammonia.

Keep up the PWCs. Melafix is supposed to be ok for your biological filter, so you can use that. If it is ich, turn up your heater to 80-84. It'll speed up the ich life cycle and help your tank cycle faster at the same time.

As far as Ph, my guys seem to be ok. I read a bunch that said angels are sensitive to it, but the store said theirs reads around 8, and so far so good.

OK, The heat is up to 82, and I used the Melafix last night after a fifty percent change. As of this morning I am sure it is ich so I am off to get some ich med. This will disrupt my cycle though won't it?

Oh and the filter has not been touched. I rinsed it last night in the water from the tank, and left it soaking in there while I treat them.... It's an Aqueon power filter, with a that extra biotrap insert thingy.

Wild-caught angels can be sensitive to high pH, but tank-raised angels are pretty resilient.

Ich medication will probably interrupt your cycle, but you can try to treat the ich without medication. I don't know what fish you have, but increased heat and aquarium salt can be used to treat ich and won't affect the biological filter.

I was thinking of trying the salt thing. I saw a post where another member provided instructions on how. I would rather try this than meds, but I don't want to allow the ich to get out of control in the meantime....

Back
Top Bottom