Got some questions about grass and ferns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
An individual here locally has a bunch of sagitaria grass and needle java fern and lace java ferns. The grass is $1 each and the ferns are $3 each. I assume the grass is planted directly into the substrate. I just got a rock with holes in it I could stuff the roots of the ferns in. My question is will the grass need root tabs? If so, no problem, just making sure. Also, I think Rivercats has answered this one for me before, but I forget, can the ferns be planted into the substrate (i have black sand) as long as I keep root tabs near each one? And lastly, if I want enough plants to do the so called "silent cycle" how many plants do I need? 60 gallon long. two feet deep, 48' x 13'.

Yes you plant the Sag in the substrate. Yes you can just put the java ferns in holes in rocks as they will root there. Yes you can plant java ferns in the substrate but IMO they don't do as well as when attached to DW or rock. Java ferns absorb nutrients from the water so don't need root tabs. In order to do a silent cycle you need to plant 80% or more of the substrate and use some water sprite or wisteria along with also of fast growing stem plants. You'll have to look at your tank and guess how many plants of what kind will fill the tank up.

Yes you plant the Sag in the substrate. Yes you can just put the java ferns in holes in rocks as they will root there. Yes you can plant java ferns in the substrate but IMO they don't do as well as when attached to DW or rock. Java ferns absorb nutrients from the water so don't need root tabs. In order to do a silent cycle you need to plant 80% or more of the substrate and use some water sprite or wisteria along with also of fast growing stem plants. You'll have to look at your tank and guess how many plants of what kind will fill the tank up.

Ok, thanks again. I actually am in the middle of a fish in cycle. I used tetra safestart and my parameters have been acceptable this past week. I have done two pwc's, but each time I have tested my Ammonia is 0 and nitrite and nitrate have also been 0 except today, I just tested and have just barely any trace of ammonia. it is probably less than .25, but it could be .25. Got a scheduled water change for tommorrow, but I may do it today. The nitrate also shows just a trace amount. Anyway, was just curious on the plants because I want to add more and I understand the more plants the better as far as the viability and safety of the system goes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom