Grandpa Toolman's 40b

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toolman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all, as many of you know I've been planning a new 40b planted nano tank for my grandchildren.
So I ordered a stand from the lfs, bought a tank at petco's $ per gallon sale.

Started setting my tank up Saturday and the Fluval 206 I bought in preparation for co2 (it was on sale because it had been opened, told all parts were there) had a seal missing. Went back to the lfs, they were great, and exchanged for a 306. Had to put build off to Sunday so I could mow my yard, work 3rd shift and we have had record rain.

So Sunday morning I start setting up my nano tank, while putting the new filter together my son says Dad your tank has a leak. Low and behold my 75gallon tank (bought used from a guy who bought it used) has a tiny leak Not enough to accumulate, but nonetheless a leak.

So we proceeded to transfer all fish to the 40b and break down the 75 for resealing. This is where having 4 tanks running comes in handy. I seeded my new filter with a large bag of media from my Aquaclear 110. Most of the fish and plants are now in the 40b. 1500383700434.jpg

Contrary to what some will say, you can fit 75gallon worth of fish and plants in a 40b. Have a piece of driftwood from my 75 in storage now, but most everything except for some plant trimmings (for 75 after reseal) are taken care of.

Stock of 40b...
6 Australian rainbows
4 neon dwarf rainbows
3 female platys
2 female swordtails
4-6 bloodfin tetras
7 panda corys
5 salt and pepper corys

Water was cloudy at first, but after 24hrs it has cleared up.

Test kit results...
0 ammonia
0 nitrites
10 nitrates
7.5 pH
50ppm gh
90ppm kh

Everyone looks happy and healthy so far. Looks like 2 days to cycle with the media from the 75.

1500384650462.jpg
1500385017051.jpg
1500385059102.jpg

And the 75 waiting for resealing!

1500385117038.jpg

Yeah, I had a busy week last week, nothing went right. Wanted to rearrange the 75 anyway, it needed tlc. When I get it sealed, the 40b will get endlers, pygmy and peppered corys and mystery snails.

Nice fish mix. Love nano fish for a planted aquarium. Schools of small fish look great in a dense planted aquarium IMO

Agree great catch by your son. Those 75g worth of plants look good in the 40b. It's a good thing you wanted to do an overhaul of the 75g's scape. Also glad you didn't have any losses. I'm tuned in to see how everything turns out for sure ?

So glad the leak was spotted early. 75g of water on the floor would stop my heart.

Thanks all, I was a nervous wreck getting everything settled in the 40b. Couldn't have done it without my wife and sons help. I'm to ocd about how it looks, but my wife just stuck the plants wherever she could. But it looks great. My son and I caught the fish fairly easily (it surprised me). I think I'm going to leave most of the plants in this tank when I repopulate the 75, that way one tank will be settled while the other one grows in. Will move biggest sword and some stems to 75 and do a fishless cycle with seeded media like I planned for the 40b.

Does anyone know if endlers and least killifish can be kept together?
I will have to research and see, oh well I have plenty of time to now. Lol

Water tests on day 3....
0.25 ammonia
0.25 nitrite
30. nitrate

So I decided to skip pps-pro ferts today, since I work 3rd shift I am gonna try to wait till Friday to do a water change. Dosed with prime and will check again tomorrow.

I used the Fluval bio bacteria I bought Monday, was told on another forum it was no good. My lfs sells it though and I had good results before, so I tried it again... Looks like its working. I really added a LARGE bag of seeded media when I started Sunday, so I don't expect any large spikes.

Lost a neon dwarf rainbow today, but that's my only casualty so far. KOW

0.25 ammonia and nitrites, 30 nitrates..dosed prime and will check again tomorrow. Dosed pps-pro and excel today, will do a water change tomorrow.

Lost a neon dwarf rainbow today, but that's my only casualty so far. KOW

0.25 ammonia and nitrites, 30 nitrates..dosed prime and will check again tomorrow. Dosed pps-pro and excel today, will do a water change tomorrow.

Bugger about the fish! Tank looks great tho well done! [emoji106][emoji16]

I'm cycled!

Took 1 week to the day with seeded media, only one lose.

Gonna do a water change early tomorrow.

Sorry about not being around or updating but August was busy.
Lots of changes here, one pilot in training at Indiana State, softball is over, grandkids are almost here !!! (due in Oct.), company picnic, a family wedding. You get the picture.

All is fine in the 40b, 75 still needs resealed. Thinking of stocking for the 75, think I may inherit the 55 guppy mansion the wife and daughter claim. They have both lost interest and I always did the maintenance (well most of it, water changes &filter cleanings) but now I have been feeding for 2-3 months. So I am thinking of its future also.

Sorry about the novel, but just trying to get you caught up. Will be posting on the planning in the near future for all three tanks if I can get the sealing done. Think I will start a seperate thread for the 55gal guppy mansion and 75 after I get my emergency inhabitants out of the 40b.

Hope everyone has been well!

Gotta kick this build into high gear, my new assistants are here and they want shellies in our 40b. They told me to buy a 20L for the endlers.

Found swordtail fry in the jungle yesterday, have only seen one at a time so not sure how many. About 5/8-3/4" in length so they're not new.

This is Aunt Lindsey with the assistants.

20171024_231511_Burst01.jpg

A very lovely crew Toolman. My crew of assistants has been growing too. They go on strike during WC's. No bucket hauling for them. They do make great supervisors.

A very lovely crew Toolman. My crew of assistants has been growing too. They go on strike during WC's. No bucket hauling for them. They do make great supervisors.
Thank you V227! They were the inspiation for a replacement of my 10g tank, which as you can see by this thread is a work in progress. Aunt Lindsey says she's a great supervisor, in addition to being the boss of the 55g guppy mansion.

Hope everything goes well!! But otherwise tank looks great :)

Back
Top Bottom