Gravel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGrza

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to swap out my natural colored gravel for black sand for aesthetic reasons.

1. What's an inexpensive black sand I can use?

2. How can I avoid crashing my tank? Should I keep a stocking full of existing gravel in the tank while the sand becomes established?

Thanks

What mesh size is recommended for the Black Diamond media?

_skyla_ said:
Is the blasting sand fine for fish that prefer low ph? I'm wanting black substrate aswell that's wont send me bankrupt.

As far as I know, it's inert. There are several past threads on here about it.

Ok so what about potential tank crash? I have two established filters plus a good deal of rock work. Would it even be worth it to leave a handful or two of existing gravel in a stocking or just react to mini-cycle?

_skyla_ said:
I was just doing some research about it online and thought this was quite a good link that might help you
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/sand.php
It states that the black beauty blasting sand in not inert and contains iron particles which is a bit disappointing so I guess I'm going to stick with the expensive aquasoil.

I also looked up some stuff and came up with this:
"Coal slag is not to be confused with fly ash or other forms of coal combustion byproducts which have completely different physical and chemical characteristics.

Coal slag is an inert material and environmentally safe. ERI coal slag products do not exhibit any hazardous waste characteristics and pass all tests concerning heavy metals analysis, TCLP testing, and is approved by the United States Navy for blasting at our nation’s major warship and submarine bases. Because Coal Slag is vitrified, the chemical attributes within the amorphous glass-like structure are encapsulated even when the granules are shattered at highspeeds during blasting."

http://www.ensioresources.com/Learning_Center/coal_slag.htm

-^ so where do I get this stuff? I live in NY

You can buy it a Tractor Supply or similar places.

Ok gosh it's so confusing when you read different and contradicting things all the time online. So if its sage for cichlid tanks is it safe for say a tank with neons, blue rams and other soft water critters?

I would think so. The only thing I would worry about is burrowing creatures. I think it's a bit sharper than regular sand. Lots of folks have successful tanks with it though.

I would think so. The only thing I would worry about is burrowing creatures. I think it's a bit sharper than regular sand. Lots of folks have successful tanks with it though.

Yeah I have corys and kuhli loaches so I think I'll be safe and get aquasoil thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom