Gravel vs Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Which is better for planted tank? I currently have gravel but want to switch to pool filter sand. I've heard it is better for planted tank. True?

Yes. Plants root better in sand.

I prefer Estes' Marine Sand, now called Stoney River. It comes in multiple color options and is very uniform in size.

No, it runs about the same cost as gravel though and I wouldn't trust anything else.

Well i just picked up pool filter sand...or so i thought. The guy gave me the wrong bag. Gave me some other filtration substance. Taking it back tomorrow for the right stuff. Anyways thanks for your help.

So did you get out and get the right stuff Oscarr19? If so how did it go with the changing. I hope what I suggested worked out for you with the sand in the pillow case and the shower parts.

i'm going to exchange the sand today. I'll be doing the 5G tomorrow and hopefully the 32G by thursday.

Can you put an air stone or wall in the sand?
Or is there anything else youcan had to create bubbles?

an air stone is fine but you don't need one if you filter is agitating the water enough.

Pfs should be fine and is a lot better than gravel for plants. What kind of stuff did the guy give you?

I like the look of gravel better so I planted my plants in sand and then put four kilos of gravel on top

Back
Top Bottom