Green Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J33ps

Aquarium Advice Freak
My mom has a 5 ft by 10 ft pond in back yard and tested water water is fine but she has so much green alge u can't see inside no alge on the sides the water is just green can u help

I would probably check the bulb to make sure its still working and doesn't need to be replaced. You can also try to find out what is causing the algae and eliminate that. I've never had much of a problem with green water but other types of algae were easily controlled by balancing fertilizers, lights and co2. Not sure how you would do that in a pond though, how much sunlight does it get? The more the pond is shaded from the sun the less likely you'll have green algae.

You might try shading it somehow if you can to see if it helps. Only other thing i can think of would be competing with the algae using fast growing plants. I have duckweed and frog bit in my aquarium that float at the top. Both of them grow very quickly and will take in a lot of nutrients. Also make sure there is a good flow throughout the pond, enough filtration and don't overfeed the fish.

The koi r 2 ft to 2 1/2 ft long how often would u feed them she has good filters and movement three pumps and she has plants but they don't grow that fast

In the summer the koi will eat much more. 3-5 times per day as long as the water temp is up over 72. The colder the water the slower their metabolism. If the temp is below 50 you shouldn't feed them. Between 60 and 65 they should be able to eat 1 time per day. Feed them only what they can eat in 3-5 minutes to avoid overfeeding. The more often you feed them the more often you'll need to clean the filter.

The best thing i found for adding shade and also uses up nutrients that algae need is water lettuce. I am telling you this stuff will destroy algae and create crystal clear water.

Back
Top Bottom