Green clear water...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 75 gal tank has crystal clear water but it is like tinted green....
This also has happened right after I put in my new filter...it's a perfect sunsun HW-304B, 530 gph, up to 175 gallons it also has a uv lamp

My stock right now is
6 neons
7 mollies
4 corys
2abns
5 black kuhli loaches

I have a few assorted live plants

I want to make sure my water quality is perfect b4 I buy the discus

What are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate (if you have it)?

How are you lighting the tank? Does the tank get any natural sunlight?

You said this happened right after switching filters. How long was the tank up before this?

You said you have live plants... are you adding any fertilizer to the water for them?

fort384 said:
What are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate (if you have it)?

How are you lighting the tank? Does the tank get any natural sunlight?

You said this happened right after switching filters. How long was the tank up before this?

You said you have live plants... are you adding any fertilizer to the water for them?

Params are perfect 0's all around
Phosphate????

Lighting.
1-t8 48" bulb 6500k

No natural sunlight...it's in the basement

Filter situation
Yes tank was cycled....had it for 2.5 years b4 this happened

No co2 for plants no fertilizers . No nothing

How long per day are you lighting the tank?

0/0/0 is not ideal for a planted tank. You are bottoming out on nitrates which could contribute to excess algae growth since you have lighting suitable for photosynthesis.

fort384 said:
How long per day are you lighting the tank?

0/0/0 is not ideal for a planted tank. You are bottoming out on nitrates which could contribute to excess algae growth since you have lighting suitable for photosynthesis.

About 10 hrs a day

So I should try to keep some nitrates in there?

Yes - it could actually help with this problem.

The other thing I would do is reduce the lighting for awhile to less than a couple hours a day. After 3-4 days of this, increase it back to no more than 6-8 hours a day. You do not have demanding plants, and that would be plenty of light. Remember the things that are good for plants are also generally good for algae...

fort384 said:
Yes - it could actually help with this problem.

The other thing I would do is reduce the lighting for awhile to less than a couple hours a day. After 3-4 days of this, increase it back to no more than 6-8 hours a day. You do not have demanding plants, and that would be plenty of light. Remember the things that are good for plants are also generally good for algae...

So what's the fastest and easiest way to put more nitrites in my water?

When you switched filters, did you put them both in or take the media from the old filter and put it in your new one?

Hobgob said:
When you switched filters, did you put them both in or take the media from the old filter and put it in your new one?

Wen I did switch I switched from 2 power filters to 1 big Canister and I took 2 of the gross filter pads and put them in the canister....

Back
Top Bottom