Green Ghost Shrimp Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 5 ish shrimp in my community tank that have green eggs under their tails. One has had the eggs for about a month now.

If it normal for them to have green eggs? How long will the females hold onto the eggs?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

She should be laying them soon, the eggs won't survive in the tank. So if you want to raise them I would take a 1 gal bucket or something, fill it with declorinated tap water, set it outside for a day or two, only if it's sunny. The water will turn a greenish hue, then you put her in there and let her have her eggs, then take her out. Leave the babies in there, they should grow.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Will it still work if the water freezes? I don't see any above freezing temperatures for a while by me.

I am not interested in raising the shrimp, but was just wondering if this is normal for them to hold onto the eggs for so long

It is pretty normal, my ghost shrimp did that too. And no, it has to be above freezing as the this grows "green" water

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok thanks! Maybe in the spring I will try to start breeding them in my 10 gallon

Back
Top Bottom