Green Tiger Barbs Sensitive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Are Green Tiger Barbs more sensitive than the normal Tigers and Albinos? The reason I ask is because when I originally got Tiger Barbs, I got 3 of each color. Within the first week 2 of the Green died. The third is still alive and well as are all of the original Tigers and Albinos. I went out and got 3 more Green last weekend and have since lost 2 of them. Are they more sensitive than the other colors for some reason? It just seems weird that my others are all alive and well, but I'm having a difficult time keeping the Green.

Are you getting them from the same lfs? Did the tigers come from the same tank as the greens? I used to have 5 green and 10 tigers in a school, and never lost a green one. One of the green ones was the leader of the school even.

Yup, same lfs and same tank. If there are any dead fish or any obvious clear signs of illness or distress I never buy a fish so they all appeared healthy at the time of purchase. Even while they were with me they looked healthy the night before. When I woke up the next morning they were stuck to filter intake tube. :(

I read somewhere that some green tiger barbs are "painted" to bring out the color more, that could have bothered their sensitivies along with the shock of a new home....

I don't think any are more sensative than the other. Same thing haappened to me, except it was the Albinos that died. If you have another LFS, might try from another store and see if there's any difference.

Fuzzy, the green tiger barbs are not painted. That is natural color.

I have the same problem with green tiger barbs at work... they just don't last long.

I heard of blue ones and I believe they are dyed.

I've never had green ones, but in my experience, the tigers are much weaker than the albinos. They are such pansies.

Roseys and goldies are very social with people.

The article I got it from stated
Red Painted Tiger Barbs and Green Painted Tiger Barbs are produced from gold, albino, and red color morphs of the Tiger Barb (Barbus tetrazona) that have been injected with red and green dyes (I do not know why there don't seem to be blue, purple, or black versions of these fish). The particularly odd thing about these (and this is frustrating as well) is that there are perfectly good red and green varieties of these fish available through selective breeding...

Here's the link, and I found more on google.
http://www.firsttankguide.net/painted.php

FuzzyRag said:
The particularly odd thing about these (and this is frustrating as well) is that there are perfectly good red and green varieties of these fish available through selective breeding...

Unfortunately, there are "painted" barbs on the market, I am sure. I believe in the 1980s, they were called "Oriental Barbs" or something similar. However, there are also naturally occuring green tiger barbs, that are almost a moss color. and quite pretty.

Back
Top Bottom