Green water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DugOut

Aquarium Advice Regular
I would like to put in a 4000 gal fish pond but most small or average ones I see the water has turned green due to the sun. Is there a way to prevent this from taking place other than hiding it from the sun or changing the water constantly?
I thought about purchasing a pool canister sand filter with a back wash system and speading 10-15 inlet jets around the pond and 2 outlet hoppers. Unless there is a chemical that will do the job instead.

Hi Dug. I've had a pond for three years... and the green water drives me nuts. And its always a different cause every year. One year its not enough bacteria, the next its not a bright enough UV. I honestly can't win with this thing and it's getting very frustrating. The reason I'm here tonight is to find out what I can about the green water, as I'm real close to tearing down the pond.

I think a lot of it has to do with the filtration system... I'm running a biofalls. I think if I had a regular filter, I may not have the issues that I do... research that part of it before making your decision. Good luck.

Greenwater is usually just a case of too much sun, and too many nutrients. Instead of hiding the pond from the sun, hide the water surface from the sun by adding floating plants or lillies. You can reduce your nutrient concentrations by simply cutting back on feedings.

Another route is barley straw. I have never personally used it, but I have heard that it is quite effective.

my fish breeder adds peroxide to his ponds, he only cleans them in the spring too! Thats all! I don't know if it is really that safe. But his ponds are always beautiful. Always crystal clear, with no shade in his yard. Could someone tell me if this is safe, if it is i could find out how much he uses per gallon.

I posted this on another forum... should fit in nicely under this subject...

Subject: I fixed my green water...

Well, almost. I'd say I'm about 70% there. How did I do it? Mainly patience. And a few other things. I'm putting this out there hoping that others will read it and take some inspiration from it... I've lurked on a few forums and read, and talked to my local pond shop, and here is what worked, as it is a combination of a bunch of methods.

First, load up on patience. Without it, your pond will stay green forever. Mine was peasoup three weeks ago and I was contemplating tearing it down because it was so frustrating. I couldn't see the fish, and have no clue how they can live in such conditions.

Anyway, my setup is a biofalls, a 15 watt UV, a 1250 GPH pump, in an 850 gallon pond, and about a dozen decent sized fish. Everything pretty much said 'avoid a water change because the problem will come right back,' so I started a pretty agressive treatment, some against the rules, but it seems to be working.

First, AlgaeFix... the recommended dose. I turned off the UV, and added Organic Digester. I left the UV off for three days to allow the bacteria in the digester to take hold. I washed the filter pad every six to eight hours to get rid of the dead algae. I also put in a ballcock to slow down the water flow to the falls, as the pump is 1250 GPH, and the 15 watt UV is only rated for 1100 GPH flow rate... why the dealer sold it to me that way is beyond me.

On the third day, I plugged in the UV and dosed the pond again with AlgaeFix (same dose) and the recommended dose of Organic Digester, all the while rinsing the pad. I dose every three days, and for the fourth dose, I unplugged the UV for two days. I am on my fifth dose and can see the bottom of the pond (18 inches down). No longer is the algae suspended, and it appears that the fish aren't stirring it up anymore.

I still clean the filter pad every six to eight hours though, but it isn't nearly as bad as it was... I think a couple of more days and I should be good.

Not sure if this helps anyone, but I hope it does. It seemed to work for me... patience again is the main ingredient.

Back
Top Bottom