Green Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justrelax

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Yup, that pretty much sums up my problem. I did a 30% pwc on sunday and the tank has gotten proggressively greener everyday since. This was not a problem before the pwc, and I have not made any changes other than changing the fine filter pad on my xp2. I run my lights (nothing special, just 1 no) from 8-8 and this is a non-planted 55 community. What can I do?

Hi there, have you tried a blackout method? Esp. if it's not planted you will face no problems doing this I would have thought. Just cover the tank in towels/blankets so no light can get through at all, and keep the lights inside off (obviously). Refrain from feeding for 24-48hrs during the same period of time for the blackout.

I've used this before to tackle an algae bloom (green water) on one tank previously and it worked a treat.

You'll probably have sorted positioning out already, so this may just be a measure you might have to take now and then if light levels in the tank are high enough to prompt a bloom.

There is no direct sunlight on the tank right? If there is that could be part of the problem.

I had green water in a ten once and by the time I found this site, and figured out what my options were, it cleared itself up.

I don't think that it actually hurts anything, especially if there are no plants.

The blackout method does seem easy and also popular, but I personally have never tried it. One thing I do remember hearing is to make sure that everything is absolutely dark or it won't work well, or at all.

I wonder if when you did your water change is stirred up some poo and whatever else was on the bottom, giving the algae the nutrients it needed...?

-Steve

Blackout it is then. There is a little indirect light from a nearby window. I wonder if the tree cover out in front of my place starting to dissipate is letting a little more light in than in the past.
48 hours for the blackout then? Is there any follow up, like a required pwc? After 48 hours I can have a peek under the blanket to make sure it worked without ruining anything, right? And if it hasn't cleared up by then should I continue with the blackout or seek another method?

Yep, after 48 hours you'll be able to look and see if it's worked. It really ought to have done by then, if not :S Well, it'd be pwcs and further blackout attempts to hit it hard.

Def. do a pwc after the blackout: if there is lots of algae and it dies off quickly then it will release CO2, and also oxygen levels will be depleted through no longer having the algae in place, so new water will help and you might want to add an airstone too. I didn't do any of this when I've done a blackout before, but I've heard it suggested as a precaution so it's only fair to mention it here.

Back
Top Bottom