Green-X phosphate remover question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littledevil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi guys got this with a tank just wondering if it was safe to use in a 25 litre tank with babies in it :?: :?: need to get rid of the algea

I wouldn't use it. I do not like to use unnecessary chemicals. Cut back on your feeding, reduce the amount of light on the tank, and do several deep gravel vacs. Is there direct or indirect sunlight on the tank? How long do you keep the tank lights on for?

yes the tank is near the window, I have no choice thats the only place in the kitchen,other rooms have other tanks in it :) the light stays on for about 12 hours,

Block out the back of the tank with a background. I would also block out the window that it is near so it does not receive the direct sunlight. You are going to battle the algae if it has direct sunlight no matter how much chemicals you toss in there. Have you thought about putting in live plants?

yes I have it blocked off like you say, live plants not sure about because the fish is chichlids they dig them up :)

Well, Myself and fellow moderator TravisSimonson have no problems keeping lush planted tanks with african cichlids :)

Fishy,

I think they're all fry...although you're right, 6.6gal still isn't an ideal grow out tank by any means.
10gal is the min. grow out tank I'd recommend, and if these aren't dwarf cichlids, a 20gal is gonna be a better idea.
My LFS doesn't take fry until they are 1".

Do you plan on upgrading the tank size? If the labs are in ideal conditions they should grow pretty fast. Consider it an investment since yellow lab fry sell for quite a bit compared to other species.

Fishyfanatic said:
Do you plan on upgrading the tank size? If the labs are in ideal conditions they should grow pretty fast. Consider it an investment since yellow lab fry sell for quite a bit compared to other species.

no will just keep the small one for babies,they seem to grow quite fast in there my local fish store sells them for £6 a piece and he said to me that he will exchange fish or give me credits ?? will have to wait and see what he has in mind would live plants get rid of the algae got some today ??

Increase your water changes and cut back on the feeding. That will help on the algae. The plants should also as long as you have a decent amount of lighting on the tank with the proper plants. For questions regarding the plants, try posting in the Planted Forum. We have many plant guru's that can rattle off several plants that would be appropriate.

some Java moss would likely help consume some PO4..

but the usuall suspects are overfeeding, direct sunlight, dirty substrate, and dirty filter and or plumbing.

If the algae is really bad, no animal is going to solve the problem. You need to correct the cause first and then snails or some other algae eater can help keep it under control.

Back
Top Bottom