Greetings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jfussell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
thank you for welcoming me into the forum! I started as an aquarium hobbyist in 1970 at the tender age of 17. At first I had community tanks, living in Florida I had access to fish from sources other than aquarium shops. Five years into the hobby fell in love with cichlids. Especially the Oscar. Back then tanks for made of metal and glass held together by an aquarium caulk that could best be described as tar. They leaked and were extremely hard to keep. I enlisted in the US Marine Corps and my hobby took a hit.

I had successful saltwater tanks and an a slew the Ciclid tanks. When my pet Oscar that I’d had for 12 years died of “hole in the head” I was devastated. I had come back home from a tour of duty and the friend that I had left to care for my Oscar had introduced fishing minnows that had not been properly quarantined and medicated. I could see that my constant trips overseas and moving every two or three years to a new base of operations was a serious problem in keeping up my aquarium hobby. So in 1985 I brokedown all of my aquariums selling many of them, giving most away.

My love of the Hobby was rekindled three months ago when my wife received a 10 gallon aquarium as a gift. I followed by buying a used 75 gallon aquarium intending to make it into a Cichlid tank. It was in very good shape and I got it at a give-a-away price. See the pictures below. It’s great to be back doing something I really enjoy. If there’s one thing I’ve noticed the technology has certainly changed from the 70s till now, definitely for the better.

IMG_1995.jpg

Thanks it’s good to be back, just installed a 24w UV light/filter and wishing these were available in the 70s.

thank you for welcoming me into the forum! I started as an aquarium hobbyist in 1970 at the tender age of 17. If there’s one thing I’ve noticed the technology has certainly changed from the 70s till now, definitely for the better.

View attachment 304866

:fish2:
Like you, I had several tanks when I was younger, but I went off to college and got involved with other things (mostly girls) and quit the hobby. I'm 65 years old now and got back in the hobby about a year ago. Things certainly have changed in those almost 50 years...that's for sure.
I'm attaching a somewhat blurry pic of my 29 gal. Do you see anything familiar? :)

Attachments

• WIN_20171107_18_12_32_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20171107_18_12_32_Pro.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 45
Great minds think alike! Lol I see live plants, beautiful! Apparently it’s not a Ciclid tank they always made salad out of mine. A UV filter/pump is my next purchase.

Great minds think alike! Lol I see live plants, beautiful! Apparently it’s not a Ciclid tank...

All of my fish are camera shy...LOL
2 Green Cory Cats
2 Albino Cory Cats
1 Baby Pleco
6 Neon Tetras
2 Mickey Mouse Platys
1 Dwarf Neon Gourami
10+ Ghost Shrimp and...

0 Cichlids.

Welcome !
There are lots of great dwarf cichlids available now that LOVE planted tanks.
Today many think 1 Oscar in a 75 is fully stocked and I agree.
Been keeping fish since the 70s early 80s so just a youngin here [52] but welcome back.
Now with all the tech you can think as much as tinker with tanks and breeding fish has come a long way....:dance:(y)
Enjoy !

Sweet! Thought no Ciclids. Once I had a 40 gallon tetra tank with 52 neons. Looked like a Christmas tree...lol

Back
Top Bottom