Grounds for divorce?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

farmgirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I get home from worklast night, and I see my hydra has decided to "bloom". It's everywhere, and lot's of it. Also, some of the neon tet's colors looked muted. I threw in a few fd blood worms, but no one seemed too hungry, except for a few d. gouramis. So, I think, first thing in the morning I'll do a pwc, scrub the hydra off everyhting, and NOT do what I had already planned. Then THIS morning, my husband decided to tell me he spilled a half a bottle of trop. flakes in there YESTERDAY morning. :evil: :evil: Boy, that sure explained everything. DUH.
So, I was wondering, is this grounds for divorce?! No, really, I'm gonna do a major vacuuming, a 50% pwc, wipe down everything, and NOT feed them. How long should I not feed them for??? My amonia levels are slightly elevated to .25, but everything else is OKl. I think the pwc will bring the amonia back down to 0, and I'll chang the filter media out, too. Am I missing anything else?
TIA, Farmgirl.

i wouldn't change the media, just give it a good swishing in old tank water. You are going to need that bacteria in there to help clean up the mess he made.

also, maybe do a few PWCs over a few days of 50-80%. Larger changes will get more of the excess food out, and several is a good idea. Dilution is the solution to pollution.

Wow, Don't mess with farmgirl's fish!

Not sure what the effects are to the fish from one massive feeding. I think the damage is more a result of frequent over feeding. They will do just fine if you decide not to feed them for a couple of days if you are worried about it.

Take it this way, farmgirl. A Hydra bloom is, believe it or not, indication of almost impecable water quality. Else they wouldn't grow as much as they have. :)

A few water changes will fix your problem.

Sheepish wasn't the word for it!! Well, I needed to rearrange a tad bit anyway, and he is officially banned from even looking at the tank for 1 week. LOL. All is well, a little cloudy now, but it'll clear up. Maybe I should make him do the next 2 pwc. :) :) :) Thanks y'all!!

In a word, Yes.

aslns0.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom