Growing algae for decoration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquariumfish123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I read about people that purposefully leave their lights on longer to grow some decorative algae, has anyone here heard or tried this?

I do try to grow some algae to feed my ABN plecos and reticulated hillstream loaches. Also in my shrimp tank I have this pretty cottony type algae on my branches of driftwood that I let grow.

I am attempting to get some algae growth for my bn pleco and snails also. So far all I've gotten is brown diatoms :D haha

Try adding some more blue to your light spectrum? I get brown diatom when I start to slack on ferts on my 75 gallon planted running 6500K bulbs, but on my actinic GloTank I only get the soft green flowy algae :)

I grow in the middle rocks section. I have 10k, actinic purple & actinic blue. The African cichlids grazing the algae rock is a plus for them as well. I just dont let it get out of control. The lights are not fixtures above the aquarium so they sit on the rim/brace. If I move them up I know they will have less penetration in the the water from the lights and grow less. My cichlids are fed very well, so I know i have a little more nutrients in the water. I do 75% plus PWC every week either way to keep things in check. I also grow them in the sump as a refugium of sort for testing . But that will be full blown diatoms growing in there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom