Growing fry and those Colors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derail

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently, about four months ago I purchased some female guppies (two) for my male guppy George so he'd stop being so frustrated, and now I've of course got plenty of babies (unfortunately one of the female guppies gave her all for her babies and passed on). I've had no trouble raising them thus far; oh by the way I've got about 8 young mollies as well, about four months old, and I'm wondering about the drab Guppies.
Most of the guppies (at least the ones I can sex) are female, yet none of them have color. How long does it take for a guppy fry to get color? I know that exact timeframes aren't guaranteed or anything, but I've read it takes about two months for guppies to mature, yet none of these have any colors, and the father is bright silver with a red tail and dorsal in, mother is golden with a leopard type pattern on her caudal fin.
The Molly babies were colorful upon birth, after all, so I assumed it wouldn't take long for the Guppies to get their colors, but now I'm starting to get scared that my guppy babies are defective or something. Is it normal?

Oh, furthermore, is it normal for some guppies to be born with some color too? The last batch Freya had before she passed on has some patches of deep blue/black around the caudal fin and some around the dorsal fins.

genetics are tricky... most of my friends that have bred guppies have had a couple colorless batches, so i would just chalk it up to genetics.
keep an eye on them and keep us updated :)

Hello, I've had some of my guppies since 4 weeks old and they had no colour then all of a sudden they coloured up! Plus one of mine turned into a boy overnight I guess he was a late developer! I find my juv's get dark purple stripe on their stomach when the lights are out too.

Back
Top Bottom