Growing plants with gravel substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anubiasgeek90

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Would I be able to grow plants such as swords, wisteria, wide leaf sag and moneywort in an aquarium with regular pea gravel as long as I used root tabs under the gravel to fertilize them? I have ~3 watts per gallon of 5000K-7000K light, so that's not an issue.

anubiasgeek90 said:
Would I be able to grow plants such as swords, wisteria, wide leaf sag and moneywort in an aquarium with regular pea gravel as long as I used root tabs under the gravel to fertilize them? I have ~3 watts per gallon of 5000K-7000K light, so that's not an issue.

You should be able to grow plants just fine. Definitely use those root tabs for the Amazon sward. What kind of light is it? (Ex: T5HO, T5, Compact fluorescent). The reason I ask is 3 Watts per gallon of T12 lighting is very different that T5HO lighting. Also what size is your tank?

By the way welcome to AA!

Should work. I've had Swords in gravel for over a year. Gonna add root tabs soon. I have a heavily stocked tank, so the fish poop and MTS snails have kept them fairly healthy. Just now seeing issues.

View attachment 46410

Old photo of my Umbrella plants and Amazon Swords. Umbrellas eventually died off after flowering and having many baby plants. Not bad for a bog plant.

Back
Top Bottom