Growing Pods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if there is a way to jump start your pod growth for a tank? I havent seen any pods in my tank at all and I figure if you dont have pods how can you grow more...

Reason I ask is because I would really like to get a mandarin for the tank at some point in time but I know how picky they can be to eat so a good supply of pods is needed.

you can actually buy copepods for your tank, they're a bit costly but if you really want to then go for it. just look around your lfs or ask them, im sure you can find them online as well

what size is your tank? depending on the size you may need to re-supplement because those mandarins are known for wiping out the population and starving

right now its a 38gal tank, I have a 75gal I will be working on slowly but with my job layoff well its become a very slow process.

A 75 is probably the minimum size you need to sustain a mandarin unless it is eating frozen/prepared food.

IPSF.org sells a pod mat of macro algae, and pods as art of their 6 for $99 package. Tigger pods are available at many lfs. Inland Aquatics sells a detrivore kit which is a great starter. You can usually find plenty with LR shipments of uncured LR too.

Reef Nutrition sells some and has directions for cultivating too,

I have found a LFS in the city that will actually hold onto the mandarin for me while they feed it frozen foods, so I will be able to get one that eats frozen foods but I would like to still have the pods there just in case.

Plus pods are good to have in the tank anyways right?

if you don't have something that eats pods, you really don't need them.
ORA now sells mandarins that eat prepared foods.

Back
Top Bottom