Growing that lovely lush forest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corrupt_Tiki

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

So, as of last week, I finally got a tank (43gal) and some fish - 4 mature Silver Dollars (Two male, Two female), and I bought 2 Juvenile Silver Dollars (Both males, I didn't know the reddish tinge determined sex, I just thought it looked pretty!)

And I also bought one potted crypt (My substrate is gravel with no peat.) And two Java Ferns, both attached to decor with rubber bands. I put two tablets the LFS recommended (Iron tabs I think) in the tank, broke in half, and placed across the back half of the tank, where most of the plants are.

And I added some liquid plant food, only about 3/4 of what was recommended, as the water was already a bit cloudy from the iron tablets, and I didn't want to stress the fish out anymore. (They are powerful swimmers and kept bumping into the side of the tank :< .. )

I bought another 20W light (bringing the total up to 70W, three seperate bulbs.) Although this one is supposed to be some 'special' wavelength to promote plant growth and photosynthesis. Whether it's a load of snake oil or not, that's to be found I guess.

But I was wondering, in a 43gal tank, with 3 plants at the moment, how would I know when/if I have to start adding CO2? I would like to avoid having a canister rigged up if possible, because I lead an active life, and I really don't think I want to be filling it up every 2 weeks or whenever. And also, any other advice would be appreciated (plant type etc, I am leaning more towards Hardy plants and Hardy fish, although I think I have the max amount of fish for my tank as it is :< ... )

Sorry for the long post, I indulged in a few whiskeys, which make me rather talkative ;P

Oh, and the main reason for the plants is to get some cover in there for the fish, because plants look beautiful, and won't damage their skin, These silver dollars are bloody skittish, hopefully they will quieten down a bit in the future.

First of all, Welcome to the board!!

Typically to avoid CO2 you need to keep low light plants without a lot of light. The more light you have the more your plants will grow and the more nutrients they will need. This will up your fert and CO2 need.

Plants do require a certain type of light. People see the yellow and green wave lengths of light the easiest and not so well to the blue and reds. Plants though absorb the blue and reds the best and yellow and green really doesn't do them good. So picking lights can be tricky sometimes trying to figure out if your lights provide that proper type of light, not just the right amount of watts. Sadly watts per gallons is a pretty old way to determine growing ability as it came out when there were very few choices in lights. Mostly just the standard tube lights like T12. Now there are LED, CFLs, etc and things are a bit more in depth than that. I'm just learning it all my self so can't say I'm the best person to break it down. lol.

What sort of lights do you have? Since you already have them you can just wait and see how they do. If they start to die off it may be an indication that you don't have enough proper lighting and may need to switch your other bulbs over.

Thanks!

The tank (and 4 SD's) are a hand me down from my brother, and it's quickly looking like one of those addictive hobbies :) Another one for my poor wallet to handle.

Yeah, I think I have to bite my tongue and see with the plants a little.
These are the lights I have installed, one in 20W(The Sunlight one), and two 25W (Tropical ones) respectively
http://www.aquaria.com.au/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/6_21_314/products_id/9170?osCsid=61db30c30b8eae1475061e44708cba18
Fluorescent Tube Gro-lux Sylvania 18watt

Roughly how long before I should start to see the roots of the java fern 'take' to the decor? (Assuming everything is going to plan)

Thanks again.

ok those lights should do nicely. It's a very addictive hobby that's for sure.

It really depends on the java fern. If it's slow growing it could be a little while, if your lighting proves to be pretty decent it will certainly be faster.

Unfortunately silver dollars are probably the worst fish to keep in a planted tank as they were extreme herbivores. I have a pair that literally ate every plant in my tank down to the roots in about a week and a half. Though they may not touch the Java fern. The rest may be doomed.

Unfortunately silver dollars are probably the worst fish to keep in a planted tank as they were extreme herbivores. I have a pair that literally ate every plant in my tank down to the roots in about a week and a half. Though they may not touch the Java fern. The rest may be doomed.

+1 ... I was hoping someone would mention this. Silver Dollars will almost certainly make short work of most of the plants.

Back
Top Bottom