Growth on live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tmyboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Cam anyone Id this?

I bought some additional live from a guy that was breaking down his reef tank and everything looks good they far. Coraline is starting to cover it up, but I've noticed the other day that the rocks have a yellow looking growth on those rocks. It's a web-like structure and it's fairly squishy. It has tubular formations on a lot of them and there seems to be more of them as time goes on.

Any ideas?

Pictures are off my phone but i can try to take some with my nikon slr is these aren't good enuf.

Thanks!

Attachments

• image-3368621691.jpg
    image-3368621691.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 130
  • image-914791705.jpg
    image-914791705.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 126
AquaRick said:
Those are sponges. Harmless filter feeders and nice to have. Also, in the first picture, there is an asterina starfish. They're pretty harmless as well. Just watch out as they can cause some damage in large numbers.

Xtalreef - Reef Saltwater Aquarium

Rick:

Thank you so much for the quick response. I was wondering and hoping that they weren't bad!

One question tho: I thought sponges die if they're taken out of water? ..... and these rocks were of course taken out of water for about 1 hr. They made it somehow I guess. How is anyones guess.

I've also noticed more of those little starfish too. What kind of damage can they do and how can I tone down their numbers if they become too many?

Rick:

Thank you so much for the quick response. I was wondering and hoping that they weren't bad!

One question tho: I thought sponges die if they're taken out of water? ..... and these rocks were of course taken out of water for about 1 hr. They made it somehow I guess. How is anyones guess.

I've also noticed more of those little starfish too. What kind of damage can they do and how can I tone down their numbers if they become too many?

No problem!
Different species of sponge deal with air differently. The type that tends to come along on rock seems to be more forgiving in air, at least IME. The larger sponges however, do not do well in air.

As for the asterina star fish, most species are harmless, a few are harmful. I'd just keep a look on the starfish and see what they're eating and/or if they're on your corals etc. As for removing them, I have in the past taken them out manually. I'm sure there's a natural predator of those starfish you can add if you'd like....just not sure what it is.

How many are in your tank now, and have you seem them increase in numbers?

AquaRick said:
No problem!
Different species of sponge deal with air differently. The type that tends to come along on rock seems to be more forgiving in air, at least IME. The larger sponges however, do not do well in air.

As for the asterina star fish, most species are harmless, a few are harmful. I'd just keep a look on the starfish and see what they're eating and/or if they're on your corals etc. As for removing them, I have in the past taken them out manually. I'm sure there's a natural predator of those starfish you can add if you'd like....just not sure what it is.

How many are in your tank now, and have you seem them increase in numbers?

Understood about the sponges...

In regards to the starfish, I have noticed more of then since I started the tank. Definitely more but not mass numbers. I have noticed them on my corals but not the fleshy parts. I've noticed them chillin on the base of my hammer and such. The skeletal parts of the corals.

Should I be fishing them out??

It's up to you really. I'd probably move them to my sump or get rid of most of them.

Back
Top Bottom