Growth on Otocinclus head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pebble_pam

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! About a week or so ago a small white growth appeared on my Otocinclus' head - now it has become much bigger! There does not seem to be any behavioral differences with my oto, but I'm worried it's a tumor of sorts and googling I can find nothing regarding this with Oto's! Any help would be appreciated! Picture is attached! Thanks!

Attachments

• image-657453682.jpg
    image-657453682.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 200
Is it fluffy looking at all ? Cottony ? Fungal if so, and I am not sure what you can treat with, Otos don't tolerate salt well.

Hope someone chimes in. If it's not fluffy, or cottony, if it seems firm, it might well be a tumour and if so, I don't believe you can do much of anything other than wait and see. It may resolve, it may grow. It may do nothing and the fish may not show any sign of illness.

Is it eating and behaving as usual ? How long have you had it ?

Hey thanks for the response! No, it's not cottony at all. It's a firm whiteish, brain-like looking lump - for lack of a better description! I've had him about a month now- he does not appear to be acting differently than other otos I've had. I just hope it's not painful to the poor thing!

So long as he keeps eating and behaving normally, I doubt it is causing him much discomfort. If he is still alive after two months, he's likely going to be around a long time, unless it is a tumour and it grows.

But short of surgery, which is not really practical on a fish this size, there isn't anything you can do about this kind of thing. It may resolve over time, and it may not, but if he eats and swims as usual, there is little point being overly concerned. Fish are like any animal, some are going to have health issues of one sort or another regardless of what we do with or for them.

Back
Top Bottom