Guppies and tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronBurr

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all,

I have a 10 g open and was looking to stock it with guppies and tetras. But I have a few questions,

1. Will the tetras nip the guppies fins? (I was thinking 5-6 tetras in the tank).
2. I know typically you want 2f and 1 m guppy. But I don't want fry. Could I do just 2 m guppies? Or since it's a small tank will they get territorial?

Thanks for all the help!

I'm no expert on keeping fish but I've had guppies and different types of tetras for a few years now and they get on fine with no nipping. And i only keep male guppies as if you have females you will most probably get fry. They bread very quickly from what I've read.

Male guppys and tetras will be fine together, just be careful not to overstock.

Many tetras need softer water than guppies. Check ph, kh/gh requirements.

Not alot of tetras are suitable for a 10g. However, one of my favorites are...embers. Check out embers.

Many tetras need softer water than guppies. Check ph, kh/gh requirements.

Not alot of tetras are suitable for a 10g. However, one of my favorites are...embers. Check out embers.
Good catch...Yes, always check.

Thank You all for the replies!

Jo26: Its good to hear fin nipping hasn't been an issue! And that I can I have only males without them being too agressive. Thanks for the insight.

Flchamp89: the embers are very pretty! But ive always been fond of the classic neon. I think they should be fine I the 10 g?

And the ph is a good thought! From what I've read if i keep my ph around 7 I should be able to keep both the tetras and guppies happy. Would you guys agree?

Gh/kh are very important. Ph you can work with some as most fish adapt.

I think a 20g and up for neons. Active fish that really do better in a large group. Youll see 10, 15, and 20 as minimum tank size. Even a 15 at 24in would be better than a 10g. They can get 1.5in.

Gh/kh are very important. Ph you can work with some as most fish adapt.

I think a 20g and up for neons. Active fish that really do better in a large group. Youll see 10, 15, and 20 as minimum tank size. Even a 15 at 24in would be better than a 10g. They can get 1.5in.
I prefer a bigger tank for neons also, have been researching embers, I think they're on by bucket list also now. Lol

Good to know! I want my fish to be happy and healthy. And i don't have a 20 g right now. So maybe I'll look into the embers. Unless you guys have other suggestions?

Yeah I've got neons and embers with my guppies, I have 6 guppies that are all males and I've never had any issues at all. But I'm not an expert on what size tank you would need for your stocking. My tank is a 29 gallon so know I'm okay with that. Sure the guys talking to you about that will help you out[emoji4]

Get parameters then we can make suggestions. I like micro rasbora species if your params are right.

Back
Top Bottom