Guppies with Baby Bristlenose Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bradley1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I've recently started stocking my 20gal by adding a small bristlenose pleco, it is only about 1.5in long. I was wondering if anyone had experience keeping guppies with small fish like this one. If I add a group of 6 guppies, do you think they will cause problems for the pleco?

-Thanks

We have a BN pleco. He was our first fish and was only about 0.5" long when we got him. We had him in a 10g at first and eventually had 5 neons and 1 male guppy with him. Now, he's in a 55g with the same fish as well as 10 cardinal tetras, 15 rummynose tetras, 1 farlowella, and 1 electric blue ram. No one has ever bothered him. In fact, he has always ruled the waters. You shouldn't have any issues with guppies bothering a BN pleco. However, I will mention that even though they typically max out at 6-7", a 20g really isn't big enough for a full grown one. They produce a LOT of waste. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 55g, and they should have driftwood to "chew" on.

For sure, it's just a grow-out tank at the moment, I figured he'd seem a bit lost in my 55gal XD A 1in fish in a 55gal, I'd never find him to be able to check on him lolol I just wanna make sure the guppies don't see him as a snack!

Back
Top Bottom