Guppies.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 5 lyratail guppies. I know at least 2 are female..had them for several months and no fry..what gives??

also, at the lfs this past weekend and saw the most amazing guppies ever!! They were all black with huge fantails in the back..almost like a betta. they were way more expensive then normal guppies as well, has anybody seen these before or know anything about them??

I have a black fantail, he's adorable! Best picture I could get as it is feeding time. Can you upload pictures of your lyre tails?

Attachments

• image-1237246618.jpg
    image-1237246618.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 78
Do you have any salt in the tank? I think that helps encourage livebearers to breed if I remember right... I keep males only as I don't want to deal with the fry overpopulating my tank, so my memory might be off.

For the guppy you saw, sounds like a Black Moscow from your description, but I'm not super good at the coloration names of the various guppy types yet. Take a look at some google image results for Black Moscow Guppy, they're usually similar enough to each other it should be obvious if it's one of them.

If those don't look right, I might have some other similar ones... I don't have a Moscow, but I do have a guppy with a black fantail with snakeskin patterns on his body... I also have a guppy that isn't solid black on the tail, but is sorta black with color flecks through it... I think they're called Black Multis?

Are any of these options similar to what you saw?

Attachments

• blackSnakeskin.jpg
    blackSnakeskin.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 75
  • GuppyGroup.jpg
    GuppyGroup.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 58
  • BlackMulti.jpg
    BlackMulti.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 64
Sounds like black moscows to me also.

As to why they aren't breeding, it could be a number of things. If they are stressed they may not, are any of them looking big and pregnant? The fry might be getting eaten quickly, but usually you'd see at least a couple.

jetajockey said:
Sounds like black moscows to me also.

As to why they aren't breeding, it could be a number of things. If they are stressed they may not, are any of them looking big and pregnant? The fry might be getting eaten quickly, but usually you'd see at least a couple.

I will google black moscows, and let u know.. As for my lyratails.. none of them get big. I will post a pic of them tonight when I get home!

Here's a horrid pic of some of mine.

img_1935348_0_d8b3d97888b2e57eed0d90719e71d963.jpg

more random guppy pics here http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f19/new-natives-and-some-random-guppy-pics-152230.html

Super busy yesterday..I will get pics of my guppies up this weekend...

If your trying to breed, then the rati of male to female should be at least 1:3-4 ( can do 2-3 but 3-4 only if you can)

Back
Top Bottom