guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowlbt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
woke up this morning and found two of my guppies were dead one was floating at the top the other was part buried in the substrate
they looked like they had some battle scars could they be fighting for dominence for the tank?

Tank mates

It depends. Do you keep any other fish in there with the guppies? It would also be likely that they could be fighting for dominance if they were male.

Males will kill females if there are not enough females per male. You should have at least 2-3 females per male if you have both. My male guppies are really aggressive, but they've never killed eachother. Anything else in the tank that could be aggressive?

There was 4 males and 3 females

The only other tank mates are bristle nose 2 of them 4cm each

Lowlbt said:

I think that's where your problem lies. You have to have multiple females per male. I got 2 for each of my males and they were still too aggressive. I would always suggest 3 per male to be on the safe side. The males are actually pretty aggressive.

Lowlbt said:

Plus, they are very active breeders, that is usually what kills the females.

Hello all I'm new to this site living in the north eastern seaboard was just recently I'll hit with Hurricane Sandy. I've lost my power for about 5 days but ran a generator on and off for my fish tank. I've got a 49 gallon tank 5 yrs old with 8" tinfoil barb, golden gurami, polka dot pleco & leopard pleco, 3 very small silver dollars a clown loach and what just passed away this Monday my 6" 5 yr old bala shark.
Okay so I freaked out after my Bala shark passed like within hours for no significant reasons. I brought my water into local pet store and my ph level was very acidic around 6.00 or lower....
I haven't tested my water probably in the past 2 years thriving so I thought felt i hsd no need. The woman at the store recommend I use pH up with the liquid test kit. I use the recommended amount on a daily basis every 24 hours still no change to my ph level in fact it was a darker yellow then what I started with. In frustration I did the unthinkable and put 2 tablespoons of baking soda in my tank..... way too much too soon .
This was Wednesday night I freaked out again and did a n 45 percent water change immediately after adding baking soda. The following day Thursday morning I added a couple drops of pH down but not even the recommended dose I want to leave well enough alone. Today being Friday at 10 o'clock at night I did a 30 percent water change and my PH levels probably stable since Wednesday night and no change in color whatsoever I want to say is probably 8.0.
I really do not wish to add any more chemicals to my tank I'm just praying as I notice their bodies and fins are somewhat clear however they do look like they still have a slime coat and my lemon polka dot pleco is hiding as usual so I can assess her.
In reading many many posts since last week up until today I found that I shouldn't do anything just perhaps water changes and say my prayers.
I understand I may use a little diluted vinegar but I'm also afraid to do that any suggestions out there I really don't want to lose my fish the thriving for 5 years..... I'm assuming all this started from the electric going on and off for 5 days during the hurricane however maybe my fish just died of old age and now I have a pH problem a lot bigger.
Thank you for your help and advice have a good night.
Ginger
New York

Back
Top Bottom