Guppy acting weird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mustangman11224

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all. My oldest guppy has been acting weird for the past couple weeks. He is swimming sideways and he pays no attention to the other guppies. Usually he's right ontop of everyone swimming in a group. Now he just randomly swims around the tank sideways sometimes and regular other times I have even seen him swimming upside down. He was floating on the top of the water two days ago but wen I opened the lid he swam away. he seems healthy from how he looks. He's not bloated. His scales are all healthy, he has no abnormal growths. Water permitters are fine and all the other guppies are normal. Is he just getting old or something? He has no loss of appetite. And my water temp is 79. Just to clarify his age, I bought him from the pet store a year ago. He is in my 36 gal fully cycled tank with a group of 14 guppys, 2 Cory cats, 2 snails, a peaceful rainbow shark, and a river loach. There are tons of plants in this tank as well.
Thanks for any help
Dan.

Any new additions to the tank? Can you post your water parameters just so we can rule them out as a contributing factor? Have you noticed any aggression in the tank?

My guppy began doing the same thing this week. I have been reading everything I can about it and think its fish bladder disease. I emailed a breeder and got some advice from him. From my understanding it can be genetics with guppies because of a lot of inbreeding or high nitrates in the tank. My fish are just petco fish so the inbreeding thing could very well be the issue.

Help He is really bad right now I got home from work and he is slamming into walls swimming sideways and upside down frantically. He won't stop floating to the top now and his belly is a little bloated . Any help please. My permitters are amonia 0 nitrites 0 and nitrates are just barly reading. He never had this problem before so I can rule out that it is a genetic problemfor him however that answers a question for one of my other guppies, thank you. Ever since my one guppy was a baby she has been swimming sideways and I never understood why. Thanks for the info.

Need help treating swim bladder. Yes you were right he has swim bladder, not genetic but the disease, I think it's a disease. I don't have any spare tanks so I took a clear lid for a cake container and Pored the aquarium water into that. Cleaned it first and not with chemicals. I separated him and another guppy that is displaying similar sighns as well and put them in that. I will get a pea tomorrow and put it in there, however how many times do I have to put a pea in there. And since there is no filter in this thing should I changed the water every two days? Or will that stress the fish? And how long do I keep then seperated for?. Any help is greatly appreciated, this is my favorite guppy and really don't want to loose him .

Back
Top Bottom