Guppy and Molly Sitting On Bottom...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saa5886

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've noticed that for the past few days, one of my female Mollys has been resting on the bottom of the tank, as if she's sleeping or something. She's very much alive, and every once in a while will go to the top for some air, but she always ends up back at the bottom.
I have also noticed she is looking exceptionally fat in those couple days. She went from being a normal fish, to suddenly just looking like she's so pregnant shes about to bust.
I'm confused because, if shes pregnant, wouldnt it have taken longer than just a couple days to show it?

As for the Guppy, he's been following her around since they met, and ever since she started sitting on the bottom, so has he. Its as if he wont leave her side. There was one point he swam down to her and layed on top of her as if to guard her.

I dont see any Ich on her, although I do see it today on two neons in the tank so I started treating just now with the Ich guard stuff.

Anyway, she doesnt seem sick....anyone know? Is it overfeeding? I dont know..

Yeah its been up and running for about three weeks. There is definitely enough water turbulence. I have two tubes that come up from the back from my under-gravel filter that circulate the water quite well.
And that's the thing, she isn't constantly at the bottom... she'll make her way at the top for an hour or so and hang out, but then she goes back to the bottom as if to sleep or something...and she'll stay down there for a few hours (except to get air at the top of course).

I just did a 25% water change since I found the Ich on another fish. I am also treating the tank for it as well. But there's no Ich on her at all (or any other fish for that matter).

thanks a lot everyone for responding...and yes thats sarcasm...she died last night.

Thanks to who? Is your tank done with it's cycle? That can take 4 weeks or more. What are your water parameters? (Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate)? If the first 2 have ANY readings, then your tank is not cycled, and you need to do more than just one pwc, probably have to do one every day. Have you read up on the nitrogen cycle?
The fish could have just been sick, and no one on here would be able to help that. If you have ich, make sure you use the entire treatment. What are you using to treat? Some meds will kill your biological filter, and you will have to start the whole cycle all over again.

Sorry for your loss. If it was ich, you can in treat the tank with the heat treatment with no risk to the fish.

She may also have been pregnant and unable to deliver the babies. I have had mollies that that has happened to.

Dkpate is right, the fish may have been sick from the start and there would be nothing you could have done about it.

She did say it was bloated in a short span of time. I just dealt with dropsy, and I thought my fish was just fat, until I looked really really close. I just made a post about it a few days ago. My fish never had popped out eyes.

Yeah mine never had popped out eyes but...within one day she was a balloon and dead the next morning... I loved her to death...she was my favorite. Oh well... when my tank gets truly established...I'll find someone else.

Back
Top Bottom