Guppy breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vacuumlad

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, i was wondering ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414880259.872162.jpgWhen will this guppy give birth and when should I put her ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414880330.052712.jpgin the breeder box.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Don't use a breeder box, the female will be very stressed.

I want as many as possible to survive i have
1 black molly
1 male guppy
1 zebra danios
2 female guppies
My tank has a few fake plants a power filter and a heater.

In a breeder, it is that much easier for her to eat them. The fry also get squashed in the slats and the female may abort out of stress in a breeder or have dead fry.

Ok what do you suggest I do.

Get a large bowl or small tank (2 gal or so) and stuff it with plastic plants. Put her in a day or so before dropping and take her out right after she has fry.

Ok sounds good when do i put her into that small tank and does it need a filter and heater. Also will the move be to stress full

Nope! They actually don't need a heater. If you have an average room temperature they will do fine!
None of my 60 tanks overhere have heaters. A lot of livebearers like guppies will also do well at lower temps. I even keep them every year from spring till mid fall in unheated outdoor tanks.
If the tank is overcrowded or overfed, a filter would do the job. But I do have to admit that I do have some tanks without a mechanical filtration. Just a natural balance and filtration is doing the job. But I do have to admit that it needs a bit more experience to keep this wellbalanced. But it works!

Your Fish

Hi, i was wondering View attachment 254492When will this guppy give birth and when should I put her View attachment 254493in the breeder box.

Hello vac...

You don't have to separate the female from the rest of the tank. Netting her is stressful and unnecessary. Plant the surface well to provide hiding places for the female and the fry. I use Hornwort and Common Pond weed (Anacharis) and feed all the fish a little more and a little more often. Well fed adult fish typically show little interest in the fry.

Keep the tank especially clean, with weekly water changes and make the new, treated tap water a bit warmer than what's already in the tank. If the female is close to dropping the fry, this flush of warm, clean water will encourage her.

B

It won't stress the female if you set up the tank similar to the main tank and her belly should look square ish and she may hide or act deferent when it's time

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Float fake plastic plants and keep some on the the substrate as well, it works great live or fake plants.

Back
Top Bottom