Guppy Death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koppriecht

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey All

I have a problem with guppies dying. 6 have died so far in my community tank and all the other fish have been ok. In my tank is 1 Gouramis, 4 Danios, 3 Minnows, 2 Apistogramma, and one guppy (all that is left ). I am wondering if Guppies are more sensitive to my many mistakes. The most recent error was not making sure the new water was the right temperature when doing a water change, new water was too cold. The next day one guppy was dead, maybe a coincidence.

Hi there sorry to hear you are having problems

How big is the tank?
Is it cycled?
Have you tested the water, and if so, what ammonia, nitrite and nitrate reading did you get?

This information will make it easier to help you

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The tank is 30 gallons and already cycled. My ammonia is at .25 and my nitrite is at 0 ppm. My water is pretty hard, 8.2 ph.

Are the guppies a recent addition? Maybe there was something wrong with them before they reached your tank? Are the rest of the fish ok?

From your description of your tank, it doesn't sound overstocked to me, and if your water is ok (as far as I know the API test always shows .25 ammonia even if there is less?) then it can't be that that is the problem.

The temperature thing could be a problem especially if the fish was already stressed.

What symptoms do the guppies show before they die? Do they gasp at the surface, or clamp their fins, or lie at the bottom, or anything like that? Do any of the other fish show the same symptoms?

I agree with Masha, not knowing how these fish were treated before you got them is a possibility, happens often. Did you see any of the other tank mates pecking or chasing them?

Back
Top Bottom