Guppy Distressed during Cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dora'sfishtank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
So here's the scoop. My tank is new, so I imagine the cycling process has begun. Due to bad advice, I put 3 guppies and 2 goldfish in there, and of course all have died but for one fish I saved by putting it into our backyard pond, and the remaining fish is a small fantail guppy. My goals are to keep this fish alive and to cycle my 10gal freshwater tank properly. The guppy seems distressed. She is constantly hovering near the surface. I tested the water, small amounts of ammonia were present, but no nitrates. I changed 20% of the water. The guppy perked up a bit and seems better, but is still hovering near the surface and doesn't appear to have eaten much. My plan is to retest in the morning and again change 20%. Why is the guppy at the surface? Stress?

What are your water parameters? Ammonia. Nitrites. Nitrates. What you are calling "small" amounts of ammonia may very likely be deadly for the fish.

I'd increase the water changes to no less than 50% 2x daily and pick up a liquid test kit STAT!

I'd increase the water changes to no less than 50% daily and pick up a liquid test kit STAT!

+1 . if your guppy stays near the surface it means it needs more oxygen. which means it's most likely suffering from ammonia poisoning. definitely do 50% PWCs (or more) everyday until your cycle is through. unfortunately that could be a month or two. which is why cycling with fish is SO much harder. it's a lot of work to keep fish healthy during a cycle. good luck!

Ok. Thanks mommytron and bengoshi2000. Just changed out some more water. .4-.5 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. I even added the bubbler b/c my husband wanted to :) Will taking out so much water affect the cycling?

do another water change until ammonia is .25 or less. anything above .25ppm will burn their gills. you could take out 100% of the water if you wanted to. don't worrry about affecting the cycle. it will happen. just keep the levels safe for your fish. below .25ppm ammonia and nitrite. nothing above 40ppm nitrate (and that is pushing it IMO)

Back
Top Bottom