Guppy Fry Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starka

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all!
I have 6 3wk fry and 10 5dy. I'm starting to see spots on the 3wk ones , but no color yet. I was looking at some of the fry and they look like they have gravid spots, is that even possible or is that their food?
They are about a half an inch now and growing fast. I'm feeding them crushed flakes, yoke, and some frozen brine shrimp. The snails seemed to like the any leftovers. Any advice for the fry newbie?
Thanks everyone!

You can often see a spot on the young ones even if they are not pregnant. Most of them have a small dot! It just gets larger, squarer and more prominent when they are carrying.

Saying that they can get pregnant very young so if you don't want that then be careful! Males will start to shape their gonopodium around the month mark, their bottom fin will start to get pointy, you should be able to tell on a couple.

Aron said:
You can often see a spot on the young ones even if they are not pregnant. Most of them have a small dot! It just gets larger, squarer and more prominent when they are carrying.

Saying that they can get pregnant very young so if you don't want that then be careful! Males will start to shape their gonopodium around the month mark, their bottom fin will start to get pointy, you should be able to tell on a couple.

Thank you! Nothing pointy yet ;) I'm not too worried about them getting pregnant. Mom was starting to worry as to why I kept staring at the tank. Lol They are just so enjoyable to watch!
I just thought the dot was only when they are pregnant and grew as the fry grew.
But only four of the fry had them does that mean their females? Or just that they are developing faster?

It will fade in the males as they grow so it isn't a 100% definitive method of sexing them, it can be used to roughly sex them later but expect to be wrong with some of them!

The gravid spot in older females is caused by the appearance of babies growing inside them but also a little bit of the spot is just their insides and possibly food they ate, etc.

Aron said:
It will fade in the males as they grow so it isn't a 100% definitive method of sexing them, it can be used to roughly sex them later but expect to be wrong with some of them!

The gravid spot in older females is caused by the appearance of babies growing inside them but also a little bit of the spot is just their insides and possibly food they ate, etc.

Ok that makes sense. I was wondering why some of the young ones were showing it. Its just cool to watch them grow up, kinda like puppies. Lol
Do you know when they will start showing their colors?

Back
Top Bottom