Guppy fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PJB1984

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering if anyone knows how many baby guppies usually survive in a community tank if left in there. A few weeks ago I noticed two guppy fry in my community tank I'm assuming that there were more at some point but got eaten by other tank mates, which isn't necessarily a bad thing because my tank would be over come by guppies if all of them made it. In the last two days I've only seen one of the fry and he/she is probably twice as big as he/she was when I first noticed him/her and is more active and out a lot more and swimming around, the other fish seem to not care anymore. I was just wondering if there are probably more still hiding that I haven't seen or if he/she is probably the only survivor. Also when will he/she start getting his/her color? I've started to notice more black towards the tail but thats it. I'm not sure what color it will be because the female guppy was pregnant when i got her, but she is silver in color which is pretty much the color of the fry. Are all babies born this color or is it because the female is silver? And when I'll be able to tell when it's a he or she.

Right now I have 6 week old platy fry in a 5 gallon tank... About 25-30. They are just now beginning to show some black coloring on the tips of their tails.

As for the fry in your community tank, I don't know how many you could have. Remembering my platy fry when they were born, I could barely see them unless they were darting across the tank.
It takes about 4 months before they're going to show color ( according to my LFS guy). My other Momma platy gave birth in my community tank and I have no survivors. I couldn't handle 50+ fry so I let nature take its course this time.

It depends how planted your tank is. My fish for some reason barely touch any of my fry. Which I'm annoyed about. So yeah, depending how planted you are will be the fate of the fry.

It is impossible to say exactly how many will survive. There are too many variables (such as how many babies are born, what other fish are in the tank, how many or how good of hiding places there are, and what the water parameters are). If you want some to survive, I'd add some bushy plants and let them float at the top. Bushy plants like java moss, guppy grass, riccia fluitans and floating plants will hide them from predators. It is common for livebearers to have anywhere from 5-50 fry at a time.

One of my guppies gave birth 2 days ago. I currently have 5 largish plants at the back of my tank and big rocks placed in a way so my guppy fry can hide. I counted 10 fry yesterday and my adults now seem oblivious to them being there. Plenty of hiding places is the best way to go if you would like them to survive.

Back
Top Bottom