Guppy has white fuzz on front fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjohanso

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
5G, freshwater, Ammo 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, & PH 7.6

I check on my fish's twice daily. Last night I looked in the 5g & the 4 guppies (1M & 4F) were all happily swimming. I came in today around 11am & 1 of the females has a huge chunk of white fuzz on her front fin. She looked very sick & was swimming oddly. I quickly pulled her out into dish & IMMEDIATELY did a 90% PWC on the main tank. I then took her in this dish into the other room to research. I put her in my hand and with my nail nudged the fuzz & it came off very easily. She now looks like Nemo with a mini fin. I know that it is a 'True Fungus" because it looked like a piece of cotton on her fin. It's not ich & I cannot for the life of me see it on the remaining 3 guppies.

I have a small QT tank that she is now in with a tsp of salt only so far. I am willing to buy a treatment but I truly think she is far too along. She is still darting around and then floating sideways & gasping for air. My main concern is the remaining 3 guppies. Even though I can't see any fuzz, I am worried it's just not visible yet. I should treat the main tank, right?

PLUS, the QT tank had 10 baby guppies that are a month and a half old so they look bigger than the adult guppies mouths. I have them in a seperate dish. I should be ok with putting them into the main tank until the sick fish either passes or miraculously turns a corner.

This is my first sickness in my tanks and I hope my quick action was the right thing to do. PWC's are always the best thing to do immediately, correct?

Thanks everyone...

Both the main tank & QT tank are cycled...

I researched several internet pages & per pictures/descriptions of both ich and true fungus it is definitely true fungus. It looked like a real cotton ball on her fin only. Plus her tail fin has almost all of the color gone overnight also.
My gut is telling me it is not ich. I TRULY appreciate the response though. I love this site.

Back
Top Bottom