Guppy problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Digabad

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi!

I have two Guppys (Poecilia Reticulata), a male and a female, and for some reason the female keeps bothering the male all day long and trying to nip him (sometime quite violently), specially when i'm feeding the fish, preventing the male from properly eating!

Is this normal behavior? If this is not good, what can i do to stop it?

Thanks for all your help!

Well it is not common. At least not In my experience. If it gets bad put one in a breeder net.

For guppies, you need a ratio of 1 male to 3 females. Guppies are livebearers like mollies and platys.
The male will stress your female until the point of death eventually. If you have a QT tank I suggest putting the male in it (female in the bigger one) until you can get more females. The female IS pregnant (if there's a male there, it's pretty much automatically pregnant) so you'll want the biggest tank for her.

For guppies, you need a ratio of 1 male to 3 females. Guppies are livebearers like mollies and platys.
The male will stress your female until the point of death eventually. If you have a QT tank I suggest putting the male in it (female in the bigger one) until you can get more females. The female IS pregnant (if there's a male there, it's pretty much automatically pregnant) so you'll want the biggest tank for her.

But he claims it is the female harassing the male. Perhaps he has the sexing confused??

Hi!

I have two Guppys (Poecilia Reticulata), a male and a female, and for some reason the female keeps bothering the male all day long and trying to nip him (sometime quite violently), specially when i'm feeding the fish, preventing the male from properly eating!

Is this normal behavior? If this is not good, what can i do to stop it?

Thanks for all your help!

Is it possible that you have the sexes confused? Typically the male guppies are the ones doing the harassing. I have some guppies and they always bother the other fish. Well one of my guppies does anyway. it is a male guppy.

From what i have read and what they told me at the pet shop the male guppy is the one on the left of the photo i uploaded and the female is the one on the right. And its always the fish on the right harassing the one on the left. Do you agree?

image-1912062801.jpg

From what i have read and what they told me at the pet shop the male guppy is the one on the left of the photo i uploaded and the female is the one on the right. And its always the fish on the right harassing the one on the left. Do you agree?

View attachment 153564

Actually i think it is as i suspected. The male is most likely the more bright orange looking guppy and the other is the female. The male looks like he is trying to mate with her. You need three females to one male. The reason is the male will always beg for it and keep the female stressed out. More females will give them relief because the male can rotate. Sounds kind of messed up I know, but guppies do not have any morality convictions in that regard.

Those could both be males. The brighter one on the right almost certainly is judging by the picture.

the one on the right looks male. the one on the left I assume is also male due to his coloring.

I guess it is possible they are both male. The one on the right definitely is. I have seen pictures and read that some female guppies can be more ornate and have fuller caudal fins than what is typically found in female guppies. That is why I assumed the other might be a female. I have four male guppies, no females and one or two of the male guppies will try to mate with the females of my other species like cherry barbs and red wag platies.

Both males. The one on the right appears to have a gonopodium, a modified anal fin on male Poecilids. Can you take a close-up side shot of the one on the right?

David

ive had an experience where ya have to have atliest 2 males per female. This will give ya stronger off spring. there are really 2 schools of thought here some say 3 females per male, ive found it better 2 males per female however.

ive had an experience where ya have to have atliest 2 males per female. This will give ya stronger off spring. there are really 2 schools of thought here some say 3 females per male, ive found it better 2 males per female however.

If you use more males than females the females are likely to be stressed to death.

Looks like two males to me. Looked a lot like the males I got when I was breeding Tequila Sunsets.

The ratio of male:female should be 1:3. More males to females and the females won't make it

Back
Top Bottom