guppy sick and sitting on filter all day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caitie6

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,
About a week ago my male guppy started sitting on on my filter just below the water line breathing heavily but not gasping for air. He is still eating properly and goes for a swim for a few seconds but otherwise sits there all day.The rest of my fish are all healthy. I have no idea what it could be?

Attachments

• IMAG1417.jpg
    IMAG1417.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 79
I have a female guppy, 5x neon tetra, 1x bristlenose, and 1xblue ram cichlid

I was thinking aggression. From another fish.maybe the ram. Have you seen any fish agression an what are your water parameters?

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

My ram is pretty chilled, only really chases them for a second at feed time if they disturb him so I don't think its aggression. my pH is around 7.2 at the moment (gradually lowering it as I moved my fish about a month ago), and my nitrite is 0. Also my GH is around 120 and my KH 90

I haven't tested nitrate yet. Also just noticed his gills are pinker than normal, maybe from heavy gill movement?

Catie, i know everyone hastles you about water.'
Honestly that is not a problem as long as you do water changes and dont shotgun chemicals all the time.
Nitrates do not hurt a fish unless they are really high, only ammonia hurts them
I would isolate the guppy if possible
Stringy feces and clamped fins are a sign of internal problems like calammanus or caprai nematodes.
Could also be a internal infection such as Fish TB
At some point you have to watch out for the other fish and just euthanize the sick cheap ones beore it turns into an outbreak.

Back
Top Bottom